starting strength gym

Thread: 345x5x3 Squat: 1 inch high

Default 345x5x3 Squat: 1 inch high

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here is my last set and these look about an inch high:
    YouTube
    I keep my toes pointed out about 35-40 degrees. Would taking a narrower or a wider stance help me here? Is my back angle too horizontal? Anything else that could help me get just a little deeper?

Thanks a lot,
    Jack Morrison

Stance seems fine. It is rare, but the back angle does look slightly too horizontal. First, fix the wrists and elbows. Get your palms more in contact with the bar and your wrists straight(not draped over the bar) and keep your elbows lower. Adjust your gaze to look about a foot more forward than you are. See how that looks

What are the negative effects of a back angle that is too horizontal aside from a decreased ability to hit proper depth?

"Too horizontal" is probably not a good way to describe the situation. Here's the deal. If the bar is in the right spot on your back(which we can't really see here) and the bar is traveling over midfoot then whatever back angle that produces is probably ideal. So let's not overthink anything yet. Just make the above adjustments, post another vid where bar position can be viewed and we will go from there

This looks to me like that issue where the elbows are cranked too far back and the result is the thoracic spine rounds over.

This will probably happen if you fix your wrists and get your elbows down, but your knees and butt are going back during the hip drive instead of just up. If fixing the wrists and elbows doesn't fix it, you'll need to think about keeping your knees put just after the bottom.

"Knees stay" has helped some of my clients.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 06-22-2020 at 05:52 AM.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Here is my last set of 350x5x3:
    YouTube
    I read "The Elbow Problem" and "Identifying and Correcting Spinal Flexion in the Squat" and my squat looks better, I hit depth, and it feels a hell of a lot easier. I got my upper back tight before unracking and focused on "chest up." My elbows are visibly lower. If you have anything else I should fix, please tell me. Rip posted recently on one of my deadlift checks that I should think for myself. Admittedly it was a frivolous form check and my deadlift form is pretty good. I intend to do so now, so I probably won't be posting on the board for a while.

Thanks a lot,
    Jack Morrison