starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat form check - rounding lower back

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Active Hip 2.0

Helpful for hitting depth while maintaining lumbar extension at the bottom of the squat. As Andrew said, you are relaxing to hit depth rather than using "Active Hip".

Quote Originally Posted by mch2015 View Post
    should I just assume that this is normal for me, or am I still doing something wrong?
    Keep adding weight and let's see.

Quote Originally Posted by mch2015 View Post
    I've always assumed that irritation is your baseline emotion.

Regardless, I did read the entire article and watched all associated videos. I found that I have no problem with lower back control and lumbar extension. The problem is that I have lumbar flexion at the bottom of the squat even though I am not relaxing those muscles, even without any load.

The article says that "there is quite a bit of variability in the normal lordotic position" and "a little bit of spinal flexion under a load is not an anatomical catastrophe". If I am trying to hold lumbar extension as much as possible and still flexing at the bottom of the squat, should I just assume that this is normal for me, or am I still doing something wrong?
    There is nothing wrong with your lower back at the bottom of these squats. You should have gotten that out of the article.

starting strength coach development program
    I have exactly the same issue and I also have no problem with lower back control and lumbar extension until I reach the bottom of the squat and deadlift, I can sit in that position with no weight and try to extend my lumbar as hard as possible but nothing happens no matter how hard I try. When standing straight I can perform a posterior and anterior pelvic tilt no worries at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12