starting strength gym

Thread: Post-Injury Form Check for Deadlift & Squat

Default Post-Injury Form Check for Deadlift & Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After seriously tweaking my back doing trap bar deadlifts (which ironically, I started doing because I was having back problems with the barbell deadlift), I watched Ripp’s video on why the trap bar sucks and decided to try and rebuild my barbell deadlift (which is why the fairly low weight)

I also thought it might be useful to have experienced eyes take a look at my squat. Sorry about the bad angle on that video, which obscures the fact that I am doing a high bar squat because I’m not really able to set up in a low bar squat, even after years of lifting and coaching.

I’m feeling a little guy shy after that back tweak (sharp, electric pain down both legs - not pleasant) and so I really want to make sure I’m doing things, if not perfectly right, at least in a way that isn’t too likely to mess me up. Thanks for your advice.

Deadlift (YouTube)
    Squat (YouTube)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.B. View Post
    After seriously tweaking my back doing trap bar deadlifts (which ironically, I started doing because I was having back problems with the barbell deadlift), I watched Ripp’s video on why the trap bar sucks and decided to try and rebuild my barbell deadlift (which is why the fairly low weight)
    We have deducted 100 social credits from your account, comrade. Never do this again.

You're set up too far from the bar on the deadlift, which makes your hips too low and puts your shoulders directly over the bar. Setup about a half inch closer to the bar and let's see what that looks like.

Yeah, this squat angle sucks. *deducts 50 more social credits* Get your eyes more forward with a high bar so the chest doesn't collapse forward. Cut your depth off higher to about an inch below parallel and shove your knees out harder.
    What's the issue with low bar? Shoulders?

Thanks so much for taking a look and helping out. I tried taking your advice by moving closer on the deadlift and for the squat getting my eyes forward, cutting my depth, and shoving my knees out harder.

On the low bar, you called it - shoulders. I’ve always been super tight in the shoulders, and I managed to mess up the front of my left shoulder doing pushups a few years ago. (I can do “fist” pushups okay, but not with my palms flat.) Trying to get the bar down into anything even close to low bar invariably makes it ache for days.

Here are the videos of my second attempts. If you could take a look at let me know if I’ve improved (or what new and exciting mistakes I may be making) that would be much appreciated.

Deadlift (YouTube)

Squat (YouTube)