starting strength gym

Thread: SQUAT form check

Default SQUAT form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone!

More than a month I'm trying slowly to rebuild my strength and technique, using the starting strength program.
    With one little variation - I'm not alternating the deadlift with clean. I just cannot do cleans and don't have a coach to teach me the proper movement pattern.
    Also I'm powerlifting enthusiast and more focus on the deadlift is actually good (I think).

So I've started from 70kg and in the video I'm squating with 107.5kg. And I think it was my best squat from the past months.
    Please let me know your thoughts about my technique.

Thank you!

Hi Mario,

1) Before each rep slow down the setup. Take a breath such that you tighten your abs/ribs down (right now you are puffing your chest up and arching your back - not good).
    2) As you descend, let your knees get a bit more forward sooner so that you stay balanced over mid-foot (you are often off-balance with your balance behind mid-foot).

Hello couch Courtland,

1) To achieve this tighten core, should I loosen or tighten my belt?
    2) On this specific workout I've tried to achieve to keep my shins as vertical as possible - but you are saying it's bad for my balance. Is that correct?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mario2s View Post
    Hello couch Courtland,

1) To achieve this tighten core, should I loosen or tighten my belt?
    2) On this specific workout I've tried to achieve to keep my shins as vertical as possible - but you are saying it's bad for my balance. Is that correct?

Thank you!
    1) The belt should be such that when you put it on and stand relaxed, it is reasonably tight (no sliding around) and such that when you take a breath and brace you abs by bearing down, they press against the belt and create more tightness.
    2) Correct. Nowhere do we advocate vertical shins. We coach bar path. The bar needs to be over your center of balance (mid-foot) and to accomplish that consistently over the rep, you will need to let your knees go more forward in the beginning. Then about halfway down, lock them into place so they don't travel forward anymore.

Thank you very much, sir!

Next workouts I'll focus on those 2 topics.

Best Regards,
    Mario