starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tricep Pain when Squatting?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The red line on your back (if that is where the bar was sitting), is a bit too low. With how high your elbows are while squatting, it may be riding up and actually be in the right spot. We would need to see a picture of that to confirm. Either way, it will take some time to create the flexibility where it sits comfortably with elbows down.

Thanks for all the help. A bunch of low bar stretches later my shoulders look slightly less awful, I think? But still have a ways to go.

One thing I've noticed is that I am always crooked when I squat. My right shoulder is more "down" and my wrist likes to tuck itself under. I also always hit my left leg with my stomach before my right, I think because my left leg bends less.
    I am the same way on bench, my left arm tucks tighter into my torso at the bottom than my right.
    Is there anything to be done about that?

Here is my first failure on squat. Would appreciate any tips you have.
    130lb squat vs 155 body weight. 5th week of LP.

Second set, behind angle to show I'm crooked:
    Set 2 - YouTube

Third set, where I fail rep 4:
    Set 3 - YouTube

The hand/wrist asymmetry in the rack/shoulder position is subtle and likely just flexibility. This will improve with regular stretching.

Your stance seems a touch wide, making it hard to keep your knees out. The torso/leg hitting asymmetry might actually be due to a slight leg length discrepancy. It's tough for me to tell (also because the camera appears a bit crooked), but it wouldn't hurt to run through the test:

Leg Length Discrepancy | Mark Rippetoe

From the angle of the failed rep, I can see that you are fighting the lean over a bit and also pulling up with your head/chest on the way down and up. You have long femurs and a short torso, so you will need a good amount of lean over to get the bar over mid-foot and feel balanced. Practice getting that lean sooner and taking your chest out of the equation when driving up out of the bottom. Some paused reps in the early warm-ups may help for getting used to the position.

Thank you. I will see if I can get help assessing my leg length. I do historically have left hip issues - a chiropractor called it "dancers hip" - but since I switched to low bar squatting that's actually been much better.

Re the lean over, I guess I'm a bit confused. I thought I'd been doing a pretty good lean over (as evidenced by how uncomfortable it felt, lol), but then I found that I kept coming up onto my toes when pushing out of the bottom. I also noticed that the bar was traveling in a diagonal path forward. A SS coach had said that would get better as I learned to keep a "proud chest" so that's what I've been trying to do. What's the difference between keeping my chest "proud" and keeping it "up"?
    Easier squat iteration for reference:
    July 18, 2020 - YouTube

It might have just been that particular set (which had the very wide stance). This set the stance looks good and your lean balances the bar well.

In terms of the chest, the cues will really depend on what the coach was seeing and what they feel works to get you to move the right way. Generally these cues are used when, on the way up, the butt drives up but the torso doesn't join quickly enough after. This can pitch you on your toes and cause you to lose balance. But again, not an issue in this set.

Thank you. I tried bringing my stance back in and it felt better. I also switched to 5x3, which I'd been resisting because it makes training longer. But it certainly felt easier.
    This is set 3/4/5 of my retry of 130.
    July 28, 2020 - YouTube

Yep, these are looking better. Just try and push your knees out super hard from the very beginning. 5s only last for women so long, triples are an important next step. If time is an issue, you can try taking slightly less rest between the earlier sets. You might be able to get away with that, but keep an eye on it.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks so much!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12