starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Form Check - Grip Width

Default Bench Form Check - Grip Width

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, I'm looking for a check on my bench form. The main thing I'm concerned about is grip width.

I've been having to train with a home gym setup for a couple months due to corona, and got up to a 225 single on bench which was a big PR goal for me, but I'm having trouble getting past that point. In reviewing my form, I realized that the bench I've been training on (cheap bench from internet) had forced me to adopt a grip that was much too narrow, since a wider grip would make my hands hit the bench when racking. I'm now training in a neighborhood gym that has reopened, and working to correct my form so I can keep making progress in the longterm.

I watched one of Mark's videos on bench form, and got two main pieces of information concerning grip width:

1. Pick a grip width that allows forearms to sit perpendicular to the bar at the bottom of the range of motion.
    2. For most people this is a grip where pinky sits around the inner 32" powerlifting marking.

I'm tall with a fairly lanky build, 6' 1" tall with long arms and legs (this is also apparent in the fact that my deadlift was the first to hit 1/2/3/4 for a single). I find that to get my forearms perpendicular to the bar at the bottom I have to grip the bar really wide, with my index finger covering the powerlifting mark. Is this grip too wide, or is this a correct adjustment I should be making based on my particular physique?

Please see this video of me trying out the adjusted form with some reps at 135, let me know what you think:

Bench Form Check - Grip Width

Thanks!

I am 6'3" with longer than normal arms as well. Yes, generally with longer arms you will need to go a bit wider. If you cannot, you can adjust by touching lower on your chest (like you would on a close grip BP). However, the grip you have here looks good. Just think of starting each rep with elbows going forward a bit and not breaking out to the sides. You want to keep your elbows slightly in front of the bar at all times.