starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello
    A short training history - I worked with an SSC from April to October last year. Currently I'm recovering from a back injury, I put myself back on NLP after some time just working on ROM with light weight and no pain (per my SSC's advice). This is 5lb above the lift that caused the injury, but still short of a PR, really looking forward to pulling a 405 eventually, but I feel my low back is not getting set correctly. Your input is much appreciated.

YouTube

Hey Andrew
    You have WAY more slack that you can pull out the whole system when you set your back. Think of lifting the chest as steady "squeeze" rather than a "snap" into position. Your goal is to get all of the "slack" out of your arms and the bar. Hear the plates rattle when you pull it off the ground? That should happen when you set the back BEFORE you break it off the ground. Lift the chest to point it at the wall in front of you as hard as you can while getting the back in extension, the bar should bend upward and you may be able to hear an audible "click" as the sleeves hit the top of the metal plates. Be patient and once you're satisfied you can't get any tighter, squeeze it off the ground. You have to deliberately separate steps 4 and 5. It's going to be uncomfortable. That's a feature, not a bug.
    Here's an old video to help understand what I'm talking about. YouTube
    Work on that for now.

Andrew, Pete's my coach and I have heard this form tip more than once.

I confess....the squeeze is the thing I dread more than anything in any lift. Jedi mind tricking myself that it is a feature and not a bug.

Excellent, that is very helpful. I'll get to work on that my next deadlift day.

What is your advice on when to put on a belt? I use one for squats (my DL and squat are same weight), but DL doesn't yet really feel heavy once I break it off the floor.

I'd see if you can get and hold the back tight for consistently for a set of 5 for now. Once you can get into and hold that position without issue for while, you can look adding a belt when the bar starts to slow.

starting strength coach development program
    I am trying to improve tightness at the bottom, I feel like I did a better job pulling slack out and I sort of used the weight of the bar to pull myself down into position before breaking it off the floor. Are these getting any better?

Deadlift Form Check - 335 - YouTube