starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi and thanks for your time,

I am beginner 31 male 225lb 6'4" who is having difficulty with the squat. I've read the book a lot and watched youtube and crawled the forums but I think I need more specific help.

The recent thing is back pain. I followed progression up to about 215 or 225 and started experiencing lower back pain that was disruptive. Injury persisted for a week or so.

I also suspect something is wrong because I do not feel the adductors (groin) really doing any work in the squat.

YouTube

I retried more closely following the guidelines in that post.

YouTube

Your feet look a touch outside of shoulder width here. I would take a slightly narrower stance. Also, try and slow everything down a bit. At the start of each rep take a big breath and get your abs tight (think of bearing down with them so that your back stays flat). Think knees out hard as you descend and about halfway down reach back with your butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsjj View Post
    Hi and thanks for your time,

I am beginner 31 male 225lb 6'4" who is having difficulty with the squat. I've read the book a lot and watched youtube and crawled the forums but I think I need more specific help.

The recent thing is back pain. I followed progression up to about 215 or 225 and started experiencing lower back pain that was disruptive. Injury persisted for a week or so.

I also suspect something is wrong because I do not feel the adductors (groin) really doing any work in the squat.

YouTube
    Hey I feel for you! I have been strength training 6 years and out of nowhere I have sustained a lower back injury warming up!! lol Lucky it is servrly strained and nothing serious. Just got back from chiropracter and awaiting results.

Thanks so much for your help. I've been working on this and nursing that lower back injury I mentioned.

Would you say at the bottom of my squat the back is rounded, or the pelvis is in an incorrect position? How do I stop this if so?

Right now all of the technical issues I listed above are affecting your position in the bottom. Start to fix those, and then we can see what remains to be fixed.

I gave it another try with those suggestions.

Squatsuck 2 - YouTube

Much better., right? Make sure you take a bit more time before each rep to get a big breath and bear down on your abs (think ribs down) so your back stays flat. Depth is still a bit inconsistent (last rep was a bit too deep), but this just needs practice.

starting strength coach development program
    Make sure your plates are tight to the collars. Probably not a big deal at this weight, but it will bite you eventually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast