starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This was almost a 5 rep max. I've only been on the NLP a month, so this is only my fourth DL.

Immediately prior to this set i referred to the 5 steps as outlined on page 107 of the Blue Book. I'd like to know if i've successfully managed to incorporate those steps into the final product.

I hope the angle was suitable for an analysis. I train in a small room.

YouTube

It may have been a PR, but it wasn't near a 5RM. Why the straps?

Your stance is too narrow, but I can't see your feet to tell you how much more to widen it. Definitely need to turn the toes out to about 15 degrees.
    Take each step and do it separately and deliberately. You're blending everything together and nothing is really correct. Dropping your hips and knocking the bar forward to set the back every time, is one example.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    It may have been a PR, but it wasn't near a 5RM. Why the straps?

Your stance is too narrow, but I can't see your feet to tell you how much more to widen it. Definitely need to turn the toes out to about 15 degrees.
    Take each step and do it separately and deliberately. You're blending everything together and nothing is really correct. Dropping your hips and knocking the bar forward to set the back every time, is one example.
    Thanks again for the response Pete.

If i hadn't used the straps, i'd be lucky to get two reps at that weight (yes, even with chalk). I use double-over no strap in all warm-ups, but i'm not keen on sacrificing the benefits of training the rest of my body with this weight on the deadlift just to focus on strengthening my grip. I've experimented a bit with hook grip, but i find it extremely difficult, and it at this novice stage, it affects my concentration. Perhaps once my form is much better, i'll revisit the hook grip. I don't like being reliant upon straps, but at this stage i'm just trying to get better at the DL.

My stance is rather narrow (around 6" @ heels), something i've been trying after noticing the narrow-stances of Anello and Hechter in the Blue Book (fig. 4-39, page 134). My toes are indeed pointed out around 15°.

Will spend the next few DL sessions working on eradicating this hip-drop, and will be more systematic in my approach to executing the 5 Steps.

I apologise for the poor quality of the video. I know it must make analysis very difficult. Next time i'll get my woman to hold the device vertically and perhaps the entirety of the movement can be captured.

��

Troy

Now would be the time to train the hook grip or the mixed grip. The hook grip sucks to try and implement later on in training. Just hurts more.

I'd widen your stance out so the heels are under the hips with the correct toe angle. Once you've gotten the basics down consistently, then maybe experiment with stance width and toe angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Now would be the time to train the hook grip or the mixed grip. The hook grip sucks to try and implement later on in training. Just hurts more.
    Over time, the hook becomes merely a sensation. Perhaps like the pressure people feel during surgery under local anesthetic.