starting strength gym

Thread: Bench From Check

Default Bench From Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Started the Bench on the NLP 2 and a half weeks ago at 90kg/198lbs. It's continued an upward trajectory thus far without a hitch.

Bench doesn't yet feel like a 5-rep max. The reason my elbows are a little shaky is that I've been feeling that pain in my forearms just near the elbow (inside). Not entirely sure where it comes from.

Following Rip's advice, I've recently switched my BP from a thumb-under grip to thumb-around. Still getting used to that. The reason i was willing to ditch the thumb-under was that i couldn't 'bend' the bar at the bottom.

Though it's difficult to tell due to the angle (i train in a small room - getting wider shots are impossible), i'm not pressing vertically. From my sternum, the bar moves at a 5-10° angle, thence towards my upper chest at the top of the movement.

YouTube

Looks fine from this angle. Just stop bouncing it so much off your chest. Bad habit to have to break later.
    The bar path will never be vertical on the bench if done correctly. The Book™ explains why.

I see you're benching in the rack with spotter arms but I still wouldn't get into the habit of collaring the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Looks fine from this angle. Just stop bouncing it so much off your chest. Bad habit to have to break later.
    The bar path will never be vertical on the bench if done correctly. The Book™ explains why.

I see you're benching in the rack with spotter arms but I still wouldn't get into the habit of collaring the bar.
    Thanks for your response Pete.

I have tested the spotter arms, and if i fail a rep, i will be perfectly safe. I noticed the bounce myself after watching the video. A testament to the importance of filming one's self while lifting!

Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrsson View Post
    I have tested the spotter arms, and if i fail a rep, i will be perfectly safe.
    Cool. Up to you. I hope you never get so tired or distracted during a session that you forget to put them at the correct height.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Cool. Up to you. I hope you never get so tired or distracted during a session that you forget to put them at the correct height.
    Haha, i'm not an 85 year old woman, Pete. I'll be fine.