starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Post Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi!

As a celebration of finally achieving 3x5 150kg (331 lbs) on my squat I thought I'd make my first appearance on the forum and kindly ask for a technique check.

Here is today's last squat set (150 kg):

Squat form check - YouTube

I have never had the chance to meet with a SSC (I live in Sweden), but have tried my best to understand the concepts and rules for the squat as described in the blue book.

20 years old.
    79 kg (174 lbs)

Shitty camera angle, can't tell about your depth. Read the sticky.

Sorry about the angle.

Here is a video of the last set of today's training:

3x5 152.5 kg - YouTube

As before, I'd be very grateful for any feedback. Thank you all in advance!

I am not a SSC just FYI. Your setup looks good, you are just barely shy of hitting depth, like 1-2 inches in my opinion. My main critique of this video would be this...you bend over and drop your chin out of the hole, your elbows stay pinned relative to your thoracic angle but since you are bending over "again" your elbows are also flaring out, out of the hole. You need to focus on establishing your thoracic extension when you brace, point your nipples at the wall, raise your chest and then hold that position to maintain a neutral back angle throughout the squat and also squeeze your armpits and keep your elbows tight. Otherwise good job!

Quote Originally Posted by adamwilliford1173 View Post
    I am not a SSC just FYI. Your setup looks good, you are just barely shy of hitting depth, like 1-2 inches in my opinion. My main critique of this video would be this...you bend over and drop your chin out of the hole, your elbows stay pinned relative to your thoracic angle but since you are bending over "again" your elbows are also flaring out, out of the hole. You need to focus on establishing your thoracic extension when you brace, point your nipples at the wall, raise your chest and then hold that position to maintain a neutral back angle throughout the squat and also squeeze your armpits and keep your elbows tight. Otherwise good job!
    These are some very good points that I think explains some other issues I've experienced as well. I took a look at Austin B's squat again and clearly saw the severity of my "double bend". I can't believe I didn't notice! Thanks a bunch!

starting strength coach development program
    I'm not sure exactly in what way my elbows are flaring out, or maybe what it means.