starting strength gym

Thread: Press on the way down

Default Press on the way down

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am a bit of confused with the press technique and I apologize if this sounds like non-sense. I think I have a good understanding of how the hips create a bow and arrow type rebound on the way up. I'm just having trouble with coming down. With the bar in line with the center of my foot, I would have to have some sort of hip movement on the way down so the bar will clear my head? I was creating that 'bow' with my hips on the way down, but I was keeping it there for the next rep. But this creates more of a 'lean-back' instead of a 'bounce.' On the way down, should I be re-setting my hips after the bar passes my chin so I'm standing up straight, then creating another rebound on the next rep?

You'll need to lean back a little bit on the way down by pressing the hips a bit forward.
    You're likely allowing your wrists to bend back and elbows to drop behind the bar on the way down and if you don't fix them before the next rep the hips will stay further out. The body has this whacky tendency to want to keep everything in balance.
    Post a video according to the guidelines in the sticky and we'll take a look.

Thanks for the reply and advice. I will read through the video guidelines. My next press day is on Monday.