starting strength gym

Thread: 6'4 Tree trying to Squat

Default 6'4 Tree trying to Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The biggest feedback about my Squat is my back extension. I'm honestly trying to extend it as much as I can and anymore would feel like hypertension.

Top single

July 21, 2020 - YouTube

Last Back off set at 5

July 21, 2020 - YouTube

That elbow twitch is annoying. Also in another angle, my knees don't cave in, but it twitches slightly inwards in the same fashion you see my elbows twitch here.
    It's bizarre, I don't feel my elbows twitching when coming up and I don't feel any discomfort or pain at all.

Enjoy

When did everybody who posts a video about back extension suddenly decide that my previous observations about this were not worth referring to? There is nothing wrong with your low back position here.

How To Stop A Goodmorning Squat - Starting Strength Radio Clips

“Butt Wink” | Mark Rippetoe

Low Back Overextension | Mark Rippetoe

Mr.Rippetoe,

I was not aware about "my previous observations" as I have been away from keeping up with SS information.

My former SSOC, and several people on this forum(a while ago) kept saying something about it so I figured the issue may still exists.

Just watched the "How to Stop a Goodmorning Squat" and reevaluated my squat and at what point is there a Good Morning? The horizontal back angle seems to be constant the whole time even when the video is played at .5 speed.

You also didn't mention anything about the twitching elbows (more apparent at .5) so it's safe to say that's not an issue ?

Anything else besides Back Extension?

Thank you, glad to hear from you specifically.

Not a coach. But I am a tall bastard with long femurs like you who is trying to learn by watching others. Personally, I think your back is fine. Your wrists are bent quite a bit which I think is causing your elbows to twitch in certain phases of the squat.

See this video: Proper Grip in the Squat

Also, like me, you have a tendency to shoot your knees forward throughout the squat.

See this video: How to Use the Tubow

Pete explained it to me once like this: Once the knees are set, your hips should lower and raise like they're on a scissor lift. I really liked that advice.

Also, I think you should look down a little more.

Real coaches: Feel free to chastise and correct me if I'm wrong.

A small change in back angle when the hips are drive out of the bottom is not an issue, and actually indicative of Hip Drahve™.
    A massive change a lot of times can be attributed to the knees collapsing inward and the adductors going more slack, where they're not able to help anchor the back angle. I wouldn't say any of yours had a massive shift in back angle. The last one was had the most change. Watch your knees as you come out of the hole.

Your grip is pretty terrible. If you can't get to more neutral wrists with such a narrow grip, you'll have to move the hands out so you're able to get the palms behind the bar, pushing forward against the back instead of under the bar like you have them here.
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 07-22-2020 at 10:51 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    The barspeed looks fast for a "top single" and your last backoff set. Take a look at your programming, bet you could put a lot of weight on the bar by restarting a linear progression and gaining at least 20lbs.