starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Check

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well here goes...tell me what I need to fix.

SQUAT - YouTube

Everything is too vertical and knees are too far forward. Sit BACK. Lean over. Point your nipples at the floor

It felt like I was doing all that. I’ll work on it. Thank you.

Yep. Its the most common problem by far. De-verticalizing everyone's squats. Do it more than you think you need to.

I’ve hurt my back in the past. I think it’s got me worried that I’ll end up doing a good morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh1012 View Post
    I’ve hurt my back in the past. I think it’s got me worried that I’ll end up doing a good morning.
    Which is a common misunderstanding of squat mechanics, here is a good video:

Bend Over When You Squat | Mark Rippetoe

Good video. Thank you for posting it. Incidentally, I saw a video of Rip squatting over 300lbs. He looked a bit vertical, but what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh1012 View Post
    Good video. Thank you for posting it. Incidentally, I saw a video of Rip squatting over 300lbs. He looked a bit vertical, but what do I know.
    Remember we don't actually coach back angle per se. We coach bar path. Your torso proportions relative to your lower limb proportions will determine how much lean you have. Someone like me with a long torso and long legs has a lot of lean, whereas someone with a short torso will not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Someone like me with a long torso and long legs has a lot of lean, whereas someone with a short torso will not.
    Doesn't a long torso mean less lean? At any amount of lean their torso will cover a greater horizontal distance than someone with a short torso. I would imagine you would see the most lean in someone with a short torso and long femurs.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    Doesn't a long torso mean less lean? At any amount of lean their torso will cover a greater horizontal distance than someone with a short torso. I would imagine you would see the most lean in someone with a short torso and long femurs.
    Long torso with long legs, more lean. Long torso with short legs, less lean. Keeping the bar over the COM, or the mid-foot balance point, is an easier way of thinking of back angle. SSBT3 has a good diagram:

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 10.31.58 AM.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast