starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Remember we don't actually coach back angle per se. We coach bar path. Your torso proportions relative to your lower limb proportions will determine how much lean you have. Someone like me with a long torso and long legs has a lot of lean, whereas someone with a short torso will not.
    Well I think I have a longer torso and somewhat shorter legs. It does feel like I’m leaning forward as much as I can, but maybe not. When I saw Rip squat, it didn’t look like he was leaning forward all that much. When I looked at my own video, I thought it looked similar, except with much less weight.

Rip squat - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Troxell View Post
    Long torso with long legs, more lean. Long torso with short legs, less lean. Keeping the bar over the COM, or the mid-foot balance point, is an easier way of thinking of back angle.
    Your reply does not address the question I asked since you kept torso length constant. I have made a diagram myself to explain:
    lean.jpg

Here femur length is constant for different torso lengths. You can see the longer torso, "i", requires less lean than the shorter torso "g" to keep the bar over midfoot (alpha > beta). The diagram you attached does explain it, but it varies torso length and femur length simultaneously which maybe makes it harder for some people to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Everything is too vertical and knees are too far forward. Sit BACK. Lean over. Point your nipples at the floor
    Here’s another go at it.

Squat #2 - YouTube

Look at your heels pull up at the bottom. What might be causing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Look at your heels pull up at the bottom. What might be causing that?
    I assume it’s because the bar is traveling away from mid-foot. I didn’t notice it before. How do I fix it? Does everything else look alright (depth, back angle, hip drive)? Thank you.

I think you're going to be told that you're still too vertical. This is a freeze frame of the first rep on the descent at about the 13 second mark.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 15.04.42.jpg

Here is you 1-2 seconds later on the ascent. Notice the difference in your back angle now that you've driven your hips up a bit coming out of the hole.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 15.05.07.jpg

I think pic 1 should look more like pic 2.

starting strength coach development program
    Wow. Thank you for the input. I’ll definitely continue to work on that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12