starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 195x5

Default Squat Form Check 195x5

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is only about my 5th squat session since I've been back in the gym (didn't realize how much 3 and a half months killed your strength), so I'm feeling a little sore (esp my abductors) and still getting in the groove. I've been really trying to focus on bending over more and pointing my nipples at the floor, though I think I still look a little vertical...could it just be my anthropometry? Also, as the weights gone up some, I feel it shifting over my toes at the bottom. Are there any cues to help me stay in my hips?

Preciate any help you guys can offer.

I agree they are too vertical, with too much forward knee travel. Slow down the descent and think about sitting BACK right from the start.

Here's the video from today. I lowered the weight a little so I could control my descent and focus on getting my hips back. Anyway, here is 155x5.

Still need to slow down the descent. Concentrate on sitting back towards your heels - try to stretch your hamstrings as far as they can go. Maybe spend a little time with the TUBOW:

How to use the TUBOW with Jayson Ball and Noah Millstein | On the Platform - YouTube

My brother-in-law and I are tearing up a deck this week, so I'll make sure to get an appropriately-sized plank from there to try out TUBOW. Over the weekend, however, I did try out one of the drills from p. 53 of Starting Strength (starting a squat from the heels to get the knees back and get more bent over), and it gave me a feel for the more horizontal back position. Here are the squats from today at 185x5. I tried to imagine getting my back to a horizontal position from the start, though it does feel like I'm trying to rewire the more ingrained vertical back position, so the first reps of each set felt awkward. They felt very easy, and I think I look a tad more bent over, but the knees appear a little forward still. Here are the two sets from this morning:

These are a bit better but still need work. Definitely use the TUBOW. Descent still needs to be slower. Try to be more consciously aware of keeping your knees back/not forward. Also make sure the bar is in the right place. Too hard to tell from the vid:

Nailing the Bar Position on the Squat with Phil Meggers - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    I do have the TUBOW now, so I will begin practicing. I did have a squat session yesterday with these cues, and the 3rd set felt really good. My knees also look a little further back in the video in addition to feeling more grounded on the midfoot.