starting strength gym

Thread: Press form check, failed set

Default Press form check, failed set

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

115x4, third workout missing 3x5. I think I press the bar too far out from my shoulders. I've been microloading since 110x5x3.

Check the sticky at the top for filming guidelines.
    You're flare the hell out of your elbows and they get under the bar too soon rather than staying slightly in front. You can see what happens on that 4th rep. They get under the bar and mess with the bar path. Keep your elbows in front of the bar longer and drive the bar back toward your hairline. Squeeze the shit out of the bar to better control the elbows and wrists.
    Also, you barely tried on the last rep. I realize number 4 probably smoked you but at least make it look good for TV man!
    Watch Nick D's video on press programming on Youtube or read his article on the same subject.

I like to focus on keeping the elbows forward until the part of the press where you get under the bar, then the elbows can flare outward as the strain gets passed off to other segments of the delts. Hard to tell from this angle, but I highly recommend re-examining your grip. Having your elbows flared out too much is often the result of having your grip too wide. Line the inside of your hands in the grip with the actual shoulder joint. You'll noticeably feel like the humeri (upper arms) are pushing in against your ribcage a bit.

Sorry for the bad angle, I wanted to film from the side to see specifically how far outwards I'm pressing. My grip's right at the beginning of the knurling. Would unracking and starting with my elbows pointing higher help?

Unracking with your triceps mashed against your lats, your wrists not over-extended and the elbows just slightly forward would be good. The unrack of the press isn't something people can continuously half-ass and expect to do well on the press over the long-term. You have a great opportunity to get everything perfectly set up while the rack is going the work, then you just have to stand up, step back, and go.

starting strength coach development program
    My forefinger was right on the edge of the knurling and i thought that was a narrow grip, but recently I shifted it inwards 1 cm either side, and that definitely improved things for me. You may also want to consider throwing the hips forward and the beginning to initiate that build-up of energy that causes the bar to spring up from t he bottom once released. I've put 12.5 kgs on my press with the SS Press technique in this past month. I also found engaging the lats and keeping everything tight from tits-to-toes helps with stability and generating force.

I never knew the Press could be so technical until i followed the SS method!

Learning to Press | The Starting Strength Method - YouTube

How to Fix Your Hip Bounce in the Press with Shaun Pang - YouTube