starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

Everyone was so helpful and considerate for my squat technique (Squat form check), and I appreciate that.

Male, 31, 6'4", 225lbs, handsome

I would now like to request help with my deadlift. I am fearful of injuring my back (like I did on squat), but actually during the deadlift for some reason I feel very secure.

Thanks in advance for your help! I love you.

Dumbdeadlift - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Itsjj View Post
    handsome
    Debatable

I love you.
    Probably not after the feedback.

Double check the sticky for filming angle on this lift. I can't see anything to do with you back.
    You also seem to be wiggling around too much. Get the 5 steps nailed down as single, individual points of execution for every single rep. Then you won't have to fear injuring your back.
    Narrow your stance, actually set your back by lifting the chest and keep the bar on your legs the whole time.

Hi and thanks,

I tried again to hopefully better camera angle, closer stance, following the five steps, being more handsome, and "setting the back" (step 4 which apparently I may not have the bodily awareness or coordination to perform).

I would like to please request more help with my deadlift form:

Deadliftdumb ii - YouTube

Thanks again!

Yeah, Step 4™ seems to be a challenge for you. There's a few videos on our YouTube channel that will help. Think of it as pulling all of the "slack" out of the bar by slowly squeezing your chest up to point it at the wall in front of you before the pull. The bar should bend upward and your arms should feel like they want to pull out of your shoulders. When it's light enough, the bar may actually float off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Probably not after the feedback.
    Boom ! Roasted . . I think I love Pete Troupos now . . hubba hubba!

Hi and thanks again,

I tried again, really approaching step 4 as best I could. It doesn't make much sense to me and the material isn't helping.

Is the back position more correct in these reps?

Deadliftdummy iv - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    Boom ! Roasted . . I think I love Pete Troupos now . . hubba hubba!
    Please subscribe to my OnlyFans. Thank you.

It doesn't make much sense to me and the material isn't helping.
    What's not making sense? You look like you're able to get your back flat. Your hips are just too low and the bar is way too forward.
    There's a couple videos soon our YouTube channel from Nick D about setting the back for the deadlift and there's the old one on low back position control.
    Keep your hips where they end up with your bring your shins to the bar, lift your chest up pulling the arms taut, drop your junk between your legs. Hold that position and push the floor away with your feet.
    Post 5 reps for form checks going forward.

It seems like when hips go up, upper chest goes down???

I'll look for those videos specifically and re-try on Friday.

I reviewed the video I could find and tried again. I couldn't accomodate your 5 rep request since i started feeling acute lowerback tightness and got scared off from the last two reps (presumably from an injury I took while squatting incorrectly, not from this).

July 31, 2020 - YouTube

Still not making a ton of sense. In the video I watched it looked like the woman lowered her 'hips', but it occurs to me now that i may not know what 'hips' are at any precise level of terms. Maybe i am conflating with 'waist' or something. If you were to ask me what I'm doing in the common parlance, I might respond that I'm keeping my ass up. And whenever I assume whatever position this actually is, unknown to me apparently in all of my existence, I feel as though I can't 'raise chest'... it feels like there isn't anywhere to go.

I took a screenshot of the woman in the video and am trying to approximate that position, but cannot seem to without lowering 'hips.' Admittedly I am uncoordinated and lack a high degree of body awareness.

Thanks for your help. Maybe I need to hire a coach in person.

starting strength coach development program
    I reviewed the video I could find and tried again. I couldn't accomodate your 5 rep request since i started feeling acute lowerback tightness and got scared off from the last two reps (presumably from an injury I took while squatting incorrectly, not from this).

July 31, 2020 - YouTube
    I'm a slightly more handsome tall guy, but I suffer from the same problems. I know barefoot deadlifts are frowned on here, but I am genuinely curious what would happen if you got rid of the heel lift on your shoes? While it's a must for me in the squat in order to reach depth, I feel like it inhibits me in the starting deadlift position. Maybe Pete or one of the other coaches can chime in on the relevancy of that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast