starting strength gym

Thread: Lying Tricep Extension Form Check

Default Lying Tricep Extension Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I like doing this from the book, so I do it even though I'm patently novice.

Is there a way to mess this up? Am I?

Are there any tips for getting the weight in a start position when you don't have a spotter?

Lying tricep extension - YouTube

It's hard to majorly mess LTEs up aside from turning them into something else or dropping the weight on yourself. I would still setup like you do for a bench press (get shoulder blades pinned and tight against the bench). Your arc of the barbell is at times a bit far away from the top of your head. Try and keep the bar a bit more consistently close to your head as it passes. Getting it locked out over you when it is heavy can be a challenge. You can clean it up to a pressing position, then sit on the bench, then lay back on the bench while keeping it pinned to your chest. You can then bench press it straight up.

If they're heavy, you will need a spotter. Try to get the elbows pointing straight up before you start the elbow extension, i.e. finish the shoulder extension first.

Thanks Hayden and Mark!

I'll use these tips. I'll not clutter the forum again with another video of this lift. I just wanted to make sure there was no fundamental error. But I think I get the idea now, and have re-read the excerpt from the hardback volume (which I found out recently is NOT the latest revision and is missing some content??? I carry it in my gymbag to quickly review if I get confused, so it's good that it's hardcover I guess...)