starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Johnson View Post
    Hey Ted, is there a specific reason your descent is so slow? You're basically getting no help from the stretch reflex at the bottom.
    Doesn't look too slow to me. I will descend even slower on a heavy set because I'm scared of crippling myself.

I concur, there is nothing wrong with a slow descent. My SS coach has encouraged me to do this on multiple occasions. You seem to be utilizing stretch reflex at the bottom just fine. There is a huge improvement in your form just in the vids you have posted on this thread. I watched your earlier videos and wanted to fix your wrists and on those heavier sets it seems you did that. I think the best advice is just to stay tight all the way into the hole (both with thoracic and lumbar extension) keep your upper back tight, squeeze elbows into armpits and I think sit "butt back" for you as a cue. Oddly enough on your previous vids I noticed a lot of heels coming off the ground on the descent but you fixed it mid set on the last 2-3 reps. Probably thinking too much about leaning over, I think that's normal, you get better breaking at the hips and knees and bending over simultaneously with practice. Also...correct me if I am wrong but it looks like you have been lifting in running shoes this whole time. Some lifting shoes would help you out. Maybe you do have decent shoes on and I just can't tell, if so I am an asshole but regardless, if those are running shoes some weightlifting shoes will help.

It must be the color of the shoes, youre not the first one to say that, but they are adidas powerlifts.

Most people will want to descend into the bottom a bit faster assuming they have no orthopedic issues. You will get a bit more bounce. You do see to get the proper lean by the bottom, but it's still a bit delayed. I would practice with some lighter weights and film from the side so you can try and make adjustments after each set.

I'm working on the same issue (leaning over sooner, fixing the knees early). I also had been letting my wrists go into slight extension. It may or may not be connected, but my best sets in terms of back angle/knees have been the ones where my wrists were locked into the right position throughout the movement. Obviously that ties in with the thoracic extension that people have mentioned above.

Ok, i’ll get back to you once ive tried that a few times. Do you have any videos that show this so i know exactly what im aiming for?

Quote Originally Posted by Tedmiester View Post
    Ok, i’ll get back to you once ive tried that a few times. Do you have any videos that show this so i know exactly what im aiming for?
    Take a look at this single I did HERE

Much better. Last couple of reps were a bit hesitant/slow, but you can use the early ones as a guide of what to shoot for.

starting strength coach development program
    8/25 Squat 305 set 3 - YouTube

These felt really good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast