starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Check

Default Squat and Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, new to starting strength, just finishing my 2nd week of training performing the NLP.

39yo, 6' ~205lbs

i have fairly tight shoulders so working on that to help improve my squat grip. I also believe that i need to improve the arch my lower back in both lifts but especially the deadlift.

Squat - 3rd set of 185lbs
    squat 31 Jul 20 - YouTube

Deadlift - 3rd set of 235lbs. I blew out all my air at the top of the last rep and I understand this is a mistake. i'm wondering, is it ok to take more time between reps?
    deadlift 31 Jul 20 - YouTube

open to all comments and criticisms. Also, this was my first training session in proper shoes, what a game changer.

tks,

Trevor

SQ: Not to shabby. For keeping back flat bear down on your abs when you take your breath (as if being punched in the gut). Some reps are a bit too deep (aim for just below parallel). Stay in your hips longer on the way up (till a bit more than halfway up). Adding a touch more speed on the way down will give you a bit more bounce out.

DL: Hips are a touch high in the setup. Drop them so that knees are flush with the front edge of your arms. Slow the squeeze down a bit more and really pull all the slack out of the bar, then move to your pull.

Quote Originally Posted by canadiantg View Post
    Also, this was my first training session in proper shoes, what a game changer.
    Wait until you get a belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    SQ: Not to shabby. For keeping back flat bear down on your abs when you take your breath (as if being punched in the gut). Some reps are a bit too deep (aim for just below parallel). Stay in your hips longer on the way up (till a bit more than halfway up). Adding a touch more speed on the way down will give you a bit more bounce out.

DL: Hips are a touch high in the setup. Drop them so that knees are flush with the front edge of your arms. Slow the squeeze down a bit more and really pull all the slack out of the bar, then move to your pull.
    Thank you very much for the feedback!

I'll try implementing the suggestions and report back.

Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Wait until you get a belt.
    got one! will start using it this week.

The actual coaches skipped your question on whether you can take more time between deadlift reps!

Earlier in the year, I was reading all the old deadlift posts, and there was some discussion on this point.

It's fine to re-grip the bar, but if you take your hands off the bar and straighten up to get pysched for the next rep (even if you don't move your feet at all), that is the end of the set in some people's view. You've turned your set of 5 into a set of 4 and a single, or a set of 2 and a set of 3.

Whether that is too picky or not, I now stay bent over the bar with it in my grip, even if I am taking six or seven breaths before the next rep. It's doable, and it's probably better discipline to stay with the bar and do the reps and not to be tempted to get up and "re-chalk" or whatever (of course, if you have to, you have to).

Quote Originally Posted by canadiantg View Post
    I blew out all my air at the top of the last rep and I understand this is a mistake. i'm wondering, is it ok to take more time between reps?
    Ideally, you would breathe at the start of every rep and hold it until the rep is done (bar back on the ground). However, some people have issues with that (out of breathe, getting dizzy), so an answer is to take another breath at the top before you set the bar back down. Taking extra time between reps is not ideal as you are dragging out the set and the bent-over setup position is not a completely relaxed one, so you will be adding extra fatigue to the system.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the tips everyone.