starting strength gym

Thread: Numb thumb pad

Default Numb thumb pad

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Question for folks that use a hook grip for DL. I added volume DL (3x5) to my program instead of power cleans due to some joint pain and just getting older (40). Stole this from Paul Horn’s Texas Method programming session back in April. My thumb pad will stay numb for about a week after the volume DL session. I’ve changed to OH or Alt grip for the following week instead of the hook-grip with my thumb still numb. Goes away after about 10 days but switching back it seems to repeat. Any thoughts from the experts? One thumb always seems worse than the other. Appreciate thoughts and recommendations!

Sounds like a crush injury. Adjust your grip so the weight is mashing into the pad of the last segment of your thumb and not higher up at the joint or bone of the segment above it.

If you aren't taping and/or chalking, try them. A little more efficiency with the grip may help you wiggle into a little better position.

If you have access to different bars, test them. Differences in diameter may be enough to get pressure off the nerve.

I once had 9 months of numbness after a single afternoon using a repeating Hamilton syringe in a lab because my hand had gotten tired and I'd started depressing the button by pushing at the joint line.

Stef- thanks, you are dead on that the numbness is higher on the pad. I’ll try to focus on getting the grip lower on the pad. I’m using chalk but not taping. Bar diameter is 29mm, I have a 28.5mm I can try. I’ll plan to focus on the grip first and then try the bar change if I can’t get the grip adjustment to work. Really appreciate the help!