starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks for looking!

This is the working set. 180lb x 5.

Below same information as in the squat thread.

A little background in case is relevant... I suffered a serious spinal injury a few years back. after 18 months of PT I regained mobility, was cleared and doctors recommended I did strength training to "strengthen my core" to see if that could help with the pain I still suffer from, both in my back and peripheral down my legs. Originally the pain was unbearable just with a 20lb kettlebell.
    I found starting strength, read the books, watched the videos and I am trying this system to see if I can completely recover my health and ditch the pain once and for all. 180lb is not a lot of weight, but it truly is leaps and bounds from where I was just a year ago.
    For my own safety, peace of mind, and hopefully recovery I want to make sure my form is excellent.

thank you for your time and input in advance.

Deadlift 8/12/20 - YouTube

Hey man! I am not an SSC.

I think you could afford to set your back a little harder if possible.

Also, you may benefit from going through the 5 step deadlift setup for every rep (while keeping your hands on the bar), after the first rep, you started allowing your hips to drop too low and as a result the knees traveled too far forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Johnson View Post

Also, you may benefit from going through the 5 step deadlift setup for every rep (while keeping your hands on the bar), after the first rep, you started allowing your hips to drop too low and as a result the knees traveled too far forward.
    Good advice here. Also ditch the belt. At some point down the line when the weight is heavier you can revisit the belt. For now you want to learn how to get tight without it

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Johnson View Post

I noticed when I watched the video that my hip angle was changing after the first rep. Did the first rep look like the correct setup?
    also, what do you mean set the back a little harder? what would be a good cue for this?

Default Form Check

More back extension + you need to lift our hips up before lifting. +1 for wearing a mask -- we all need to do our part.

Quote Originally Posted by oshua86 View Post
    I noticed when I watched the video that my hip angle was changing after the first rep. Did the first rep look like the correct setup?
    also, what do you mean set the back a little harder? what would be a good cue for this?
    So iirc, you setup right on the first rep. (except you had a tiny bit of spinal flexion)

Setting the back harder meaning shove your belly between your thighs and lift your chest. An SSC can let you know if this is wrong, or what a correct cue would be.

Yes that is correct Jeff, but remember prioritization is key with form checks. The BIG adjustment is that he is dropping his hips and the bar is starting forward of midfoot on every rep. If he does the 5 steps exactly and keeps his hips up then we go from there. Also why I mentioned ditching the belt because it often messes with the squeeze and may fix any lack of back extension that is occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Yes that is correct Jeff, but remember prioritization is key with form checks. The BIG adjustment is that he is dropping his hips and the bar is starting forward of midfoot on every rep. If he does the 5 steps exactly and keeps his hips up then we go from there. Also why I mentioned ditching the belt because it often messes with the squeeze and may fix any lack of back extension that is occurring.
    Thanks for clarifying, Ryan!

Stuff like this means a lot to me.

starting strength coach development program
    Any time