starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Post Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hi!
    I am a 23 y/o male, bodyweight is 92Kg. here is a formcheck video (Formcheck 117 5 - YouTube), with 117kg weight.
    In these trying times, I had to take a 4 month break from training. This video is 2 weeks in after the restart. Pre-COVID I did 120kg 3x5 on squats, 145kg set of fives D/L and 80kg 3x5 bench.

I have some pain in my left shoulder while getting into the position. This goes away during the work set. At any time, if I extend my arm forward and rotate my hand about the arm, inwards, I hear a lot of cracking sounds, but it doesnt hurt.
    Finally, there is sharp pain in my right knee on the lateral end ONLY if I sit down ass-to-grass. Squats don't hurt, and holding the just-below-parallel position also doesn't hurt. The knee does pop though.

Please let me know if I am just overthinking or there is an issue with the form.

1) Try and bear down with your abs/ribs when you take your breath so your back stays flat (you are arching it here).
    2) Aim for just below parallel instead of ass to grass - as you note this will be more comfortable on the knees.
    3) Monitor the shoulder pain and make sure it doesn't increase over time. You may want to cycle in some low bar stretches after your sessions to get some more flexibility more quickly.
    4) Popping and cracking could result from a variety of causes and doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.

Hey man. I'm not an SSC.

You might could try this shoulder stretch by Paul Horn : How to stretch your shoulders for the low-bar back squat (UPDATED) - YouTube

I think you should squat on a stable surface and not on those foam mats. Your back looks a little vertical here, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Johnson View Post
    Hey man. I'm not an SSC.

You might could try this shoulder stretch by Paul Horn : How to stretch your shoulders for the low-bar back squat (UPDATED) - YouTube

I think you should squat on a stable surface and not on those foam mats. Your back looks a little vertical here, in my opinion.
    Thanks! Yeah, I have gone through the forums for the shoulder pain a bit, and found a link to the older video of the stretch. It does help, I also do dislocations, and some more stretches with a band.
    As for the back, yeah, I am not too sure about this. It does look vertical, but then as the coach says, maybe the arch (overextension of the lumbar IMO) is making it look that way. The "back angle" as measured in the blue book might be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    1) Try and bear down with your abs/ribs when you take your breath so your back stays flat (you are arching it here).
    2) Aim for just below parallel instead of ass to grass - as you note this will be more comfortable on the knees.
    3) Monitor the shoulder pain and make sure it doesn't increase over time. You may want to cycle in some low bar stretches after your sessions to get some more flexibility more quickly.
    4) Popping and cracking could result from a variety of causes and doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.
    Thanks Coach!
    When you say arch, do you mean flexion or overextension? I think I do see some overextension in the upper/mid back now that you point it out.
    Would you not call this depth just below parallel? When I said ass to grass, I meant literally sitting down beyond the squat as if to take a dump on the ground.

Also not a SSC...I would suggest staying tight in the hole, as Hayden stated you don't need to go ass to grass. My squats looked very similar to this before I started to work with my coach. I still find it very difficult to stay tight all the way down, find that bottom position and then rebound off of my hamstrings and adductors...not my patellar tendons (letting go of all the tightness at the bottom and then rebounding off of the knees vs. the hips).

Quote Originally Posted by beastraje View Post
    When you say arch, do you mean flexion or overextension? I think I do see some overextension in the upper/mid back now that you point it out.
    Would you not call this depth just below parallel? When I said ass to grass, I meant literally sitting down beyond the squat as if to take a dump on the ground.
    Yes, don't overextend the bad when getting tight.

Your depth here may not be ass to grass, but it is a bit too deep. Aim for hip crease just below top of knee cap.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat form check - YouTube
    This one is from ~45 degrees this time.
    Here is todays third work set. Is the overextension better now? Also, my shoulder pain is almost non-existent now, pretty happy!
    However, my right knee hurts a bit when I stand up from a chair. I also started the power clean day before yesterday for the first time, so could be due to that actually.

Please let me know if it is fine? Any problems with the knees in the form?