starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift help

Default Deadlift help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am having a hard time keeping my back in rigid extension while deadlifting. I am able to maintain a correct low back position at lighter weights. However, when the weight starts getting heavy my low back is always pulled into flexion. This has really stalled my progression because I have reset multiple times by lightening the weight and trying to work back up with proper form. I am consciously pulling as much slack as I can out of the bar before the pull. My back always gives when it gets hard no matter what I cue. The “shove your belly between the thighs” cue has helped but I am beginning to think this is a weakness issue rather than a technique issue. I am using a hook grip which has helped greatly since I have long fingers. I have watched all the videos on low back position that I can find. However, I still can’t fix this issue. I have a long back and short arms so my back angle in the deadlift is pretty horizontal. Would adding in rack pulls or RDL’s be beneficial for this issue? And if so how would I implement them?

I am currently not doing any deadlift variations I just conventional deadlift twice a week. I switched from deadlifting 1x5 to 2x3 recently. Adding 5lbs per session. Squatting 3x5 three times a week. Any advice is greatly appreciated because I have been trying to fix this for a while without success. Every time I try to build back up with heavier weight, the rounding gets worse and worse.

19 years old
    5’ 8”
    180lbs
    250 x 3 bench
    280 X 5 squat
    320 x 3 deadlift

2 x 3 @ 320 Deadlift video side view

320 x 3 deadlift - YouTube

The belt looks like it may be interfering with your ability to set your back fully.

This is merely my shot in the dark, and I would wait to see what an SSC says.

I definitely think you can experiment with a 3in belt or without a belt but unless your back is hurting I would keep going up in weight. Almost everyone's heavy sets will have some form breakdown. Getting a better squeeze will just have to be something you keep working on. Pointing toes out and shoving knees out a slight bit more at the bottom sometimes helps

Thanks for the advice. I’ll get ahold of a 3 inch belt. I overlooked this point; I’m only 5’ 8” so I probably have no business wearing a 4” belt on the deadlift. So you recommend I keep progression going on the deadlift without adding any assistance movements? I’m currently deadlifting 2x per week for 2x3 adding 5lbs a session.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gach View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I’ll get ahold of a 3 inch belt. I overlooked this point; I’m only 5’ 8” so I probably have no business wearing a 4” belt on the deadlift. So you recommend I keep progression going on the deadlift without adding any assistance movements? I’m currently deadlifting 2x per week for 2x3 adding 5lbs a session.
    The deadlift will not need any assistance movements for a long while. You may need general programming adjustments but that would be a question for the Programming section or paid for with a coach. I'm just saying from what I see here, I would keep progressing while continuing to improve the squeeze(as opposed to lowering the weight or adding assistance until the squeeze is perfect).