starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    315 on the dead lift. I failed at this same lift last week.

I am squatting 290, I feel like I should be able to dead lift more than 315.

Is my starting position too high? I am following the 5 step setup.

8/19/2020 Deadlift 315 - YouTube

Are your shins on the bar? They don't look like it. They look too vertical and like you're trying to pull through your heels. Make sure to bring your shins to the bar and then drive the floor away with your feet to break it off the ground. Your mid-foot to be specific.

This morning I focused on keeping the bar against my shin the entire way.

I also tried to make sure I started with the bar over the middle of the foot, so I wasn't on my heels. This definitely changed my starting geometry.

Does this look like better form?

2020 08 25 Deadlift 325 - YouTube

Also, I will be getting a belt in the mail which hopefully helps me really focus on the deep breath and core stability

Thank you for this feedback.

I focused on making sure the bar is on my shins for the entire set, as well as moved the bar a little forward, I think now it is at the mid foot.

This did cause the geometry of my lift to change. Does this set look better in terms of form and starting position?

2020 08 25 Deadlift 325 - YouTube

You can just post once and we'll get to approving eventually.

There's a lot of wiggling around here. Your hips drop on almost every rep when you go to set the back. The bar moves around and your shins move around and it doesn't look like you actually get the bar pinned on the shins to start.
    Once you drop the hips to bring the shins to the bar, that's where they have to stay when you set the back. If you nudge the bar forward when you set the back and feel it come off the shins, it's because you dropped your hips. Once you master setting the back without dropping the hips, then you'll need to stay on midfoot as you break the bar off the floor with your quads extending the knees, rather than rocking back.