• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all
    heres the youtube link Copy of IMG 0259 - YouTube
    background
    -flat feet; wear orthotics
    -Squat shoes
    -Elevated the bar with some plates by just under an inch to offset shoes raised heel
    -First time wearing belt for deadlift
    -Since wearing shoes back feels strained with deadlift but feels better with belt (despite the advice about 4belts for deadlifts)
    -deadlifts seem to be giving me problems with lower back; when I try to straighten my back and lift up chest at beginning of lift it causes slight discomfort tightness in lower back
    i used to lift in flats and i never had this issue
    lifting 220lbs
    59, 167lbs
    Doing the beginner program squat bench deadlift/squat, press, deadlift 3-4 weeks in

any ideas? thanks

You're not flattening your back at all by picking your chest up. When you say "discomfort tightness", can you elaborate on that? Everyone feels uncomfortable tightness when they set their back properly. It's a deadlift. It's not going to be comfortable.

Also, don't breathe during the rep.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

it feels sore after and during it feels like its being strained thats the best i can describe sorry if its vague
    i hold my breath on every rep dont i?

No doubt your back is being strained due to the fact that you aren't tightening your erectors (you aren't using those muscles to flatten your back and pull the slack out of the bar before you pull). I would also ditch the plates. You're balance is a bit too far back on your heels and the plates might be causing it. Your setup is likely also a bit off with hips too low, but I can't see exactly from a side view.

if i ditch the plates thats going to make the lift more difficult no as i have the elevated heel in the squat shoes

i also forgot to mention i have hypermobile joints i wonder if i hyperextend back(when i do try to set back)

Regarding the shoes, plenty of people lift with them - you just need to make sure you stay back on mid-foot before you pull. You also can get shoes that don't have so much of a raised here and use them for the DL. Based on the video you posted you are not extending your back at all so whether or no you are hyper mobile cannot be determined. Post another video without plates and where you try to extend your back and we will see.

starting strength coach development program
    hi quick update i took your advice re the lower back and i activated it (i think ) with a warm up set of rdls on an empty bar before the dls. this seems to have done the trick . the main set of dl felt much better no discomfort. ive been deadlifting for years incorrectly which would explain why i made no progress and had back issues.Thanks again