starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Previous form check: Squat form check

Looking for a form check on the squat, this is the last working set of 72,5kg x 5.

This week I worked on my elbows/gaze more up, getting a tighter core and narrowed my stance. On rep 3 the bar probably went a bit over mid food so I lost my balance a bit.

Gaze looks better. Keep working on elbows down/pinned closer to your body. Some of the reps you lean over enough to start, others not quite enough. Overall you need to focus on staying leaned over as you hit your bottom position. Torso shouldn't pull up until hips are are near/just past halfway up. Also, stance is probably a smidge too narrow now. I would go an inch or 2 wider.

Thank you.

What else can I do for the position of my elbows? You think it’s a mobility issue? I work at the office so I sit down most of day, I try to get out of my chair every 30 mins and walk and stretch my chest and shoulders for a bit.
    I also do band pull aparts between my pushing sets.

Stretching in the desired position works best:

Low Bar Position Stretch | On the Platform - YouTube

As you do the stretch, start conservatively so you can keep the elbows down.

Last session I felt something wasn't right so today I decided to film from a side angle and do a lighter set. I definitely think rep 4 & 5 are too vertical. I also notice my head is way down and should be way more in line with my back (maybe cue: Head up?). Also, should I continue adding weight or back down a bit so I can work on my technique?

Break at the hips and knees simultaneously, not hips then knees. Same time.

Keep your chest shoved out and the head problem will take care of itself. Your thoracic spine is severely rounded and you are confusing thoracic flexion with hip flexion. Keep your low back and upper back tight as you send your hips back.

Thanks for your reply. Will work on those points for the next couple of weeks. Is the thoracic flexion something I can fix with the low bar stretch? Or do I need to see a fysio for that?

Thoracic flexion, or rounding of the upper back, is mitigated by lifting the chest up before each rep and holding that position as you lean over at the hip. This gets the muscles on either side of the t-spine to do their job of puling it into extension and holding it rigid. It also helps to not hang the head down off of the shoulders. Pull the head back, lift the chest up, then drop the eyes to their spot on the floor.
    Does that make sense?

starting strength coach development program
    Yes it does, I will try this the next time I train.