starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat help

Default Squat help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squats seem to always feel difficult to nail down mechanically. Video showes last set. ( no idea why foot slipped back after 4th rep other than possibly a balance issue) please help me get these right.
    Squat form check 2 - YouTube

Your foot slipped back because you lifted your head up and shifted your weight back. Keep your head down. Also get your hands/palms more in contact with the bar, not raised up like that. Shove your knees out HARD. Get a better quality belt

Lowered the weight a bit and focused on Jamming my knees out and keeping my head down. It feels like a much smother ride. Only now it appears i have this horrible low back flexion on some of the reps. Is it bad? if so is there anything i can do to fix it?

Set 1 squat set 1 - YouTube

Set 2 squat set 3 - YouTube

Set 3 squat set 3 - YouTube

Get your whole back tighter and don't worry about your low back. You do this by narrowing your grip and getting your hands more in contact with the bar. Get a big breath, slow controlled descent over midfoot, knees out

This grip placment is the best i feel i can do with my current shoulder mobility. Ill try to cram into a more narrow position using my 28mm bar next workout. The bar in the videos is 29mm

switched to a 28mm bar. I was able to get in a bit narrower and grab the bar better. Does it look any better?

squat form check 28mm bar - YouTube

Yes much better. You can take bigger jumps on the way back up as this weight is still very light

Thank you. I was able to keep my previous work weight with much better balance and control of the weight. Really felt the power of the hip drive using these cues. Video shows last set. Any final adjustments?
    squat final form check - YouTube

I would widen the stance a bit. Keep focusing on shoving your knees out as hard as you can. And lean over more right from the start. Send your hips back towards the wall behind you. Chest down

starting strength coach development program
    Ok one more for good measure. I focused on leaning over more. I didnt get as increadible power from the hips out of the hole as i did last form check. Am i over correcting? I think my neck is down too much. I think i will strap a terribly useful tennis ball under my chin if it doesnt pose any safety risks.
    squat final form check - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast