starting strength gym

Thread: Lateral Epicondylitis and Squat

Default Lateral Epicondylitis and Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    During warmups, at around 185 pounds, I'll start to feel pressure on the lateral part of my elbow as soon as I lift off and while I'm stepping backward to squat. Once I stop moving and perform the set, things are fine. Then, during the walk back to the rack, I feel it again. Once I'm walking around after the set, my left elbow and, lately, my shoulder have been on fire.

This has affected my pressing, such that I had to cut my press session short the other day, but benching seems to help it. It really helps if I tempo bench during warmups and control the eccentric.

Today, after the first set, I had mid-grade shoulder pain that got worse with each set. I also noticed tingling in my index finger and maybe my thumb (hard to tell) when I shook out my wrists. I also wasn't hitting depth. Shit day. I went down ~10% to 225 and that helped a little, but the pain during liftoff and immediately after racking the bar was at its worst.

Fortunately, it was bench day, and that helped work things out. I CAN get my elbows in a little bit tighter to my torso, but that actually makes it worse. Any advice? Anything else wrong with the squat?

Thanks!

225 3rd Set - YouTube

Bar might be a smidge too high, but likely it will be more uncomfortable right now if you lower it. Are you doing regular low bar stretches? Adjusting your grip a bit might help with the pain as well. You somewhat have this grip, already but check out this video by Nick D.: Quick grip adjustment for your squat.... - Starting Strength - The Aasgaard Company If grip is still an issue, you could try wrapping your thumbs around.

For technique, take a narrower stance so feet are under shoulders. Lean over a bit more at the start and stay driving up with your hips a bit longer on the way up. Also might want to face the other way in the rack so you can look a bit further ahead on the ground more easily.

~Hayden

Thanks Hayden!

I stay pretty consistent with the low bar stretches, but it seems like maybe I’m tightening up a bit lately. Honestly, I feel like my shoulders aren’t used to their newfound width from all the pressing.

I have been wanting to wrap my thumb under the bar lately. It feels like the right thing to do, but I’ve refrained. I will give Nick D’s grip change a try first.

I’ll work on the other squat technique changes. Thanks for your input!

Hey Frank,

I had a similar situation to yours, having developed lateral epicondylitis at about the same weight as you. It turns out my upper back was loose during squatting, so what I did was I pointed my chest up and squeezed my shoulder blades really hard together when I was about to unrack the bar. Also focused on staying very tight all the way until racking the bar again. This seems to have fixed the pain on the lateral part of my elbow almost instantly, now I have no pain anymore. I hope this works for you too. Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Razv1908 View Post
    Hey Frank,

I had a similar situation to yours, having developed lateral epicondylitis at about the same weight as you. It turns out my upper back was loose during squatting, so what I did was I pointed my chest up and squeezed my shoulder blades really hard together when I was about to unrack the bar. Also focused on staying very tight all the way until racking the bar again. This seems to have fixed the pain on the lateral part of my elbow almost instantly, now I have no pain anymore. I hope this works for you too. Best wishes.
    Yes, this can help if you are too loose in the setup. From the video it looks like you are sufficiently tight Frank, but you can give this a try in the event that you aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Yes, this can help if you are too loose in the setup. From the video it looks like you are sufficiently tight Frank, but you can give this a try in the event that you aren't.
    Raz and Hayden,

Thanks. I'm open to giving it a try, for sure.

starting strength coach development program
    Just wanted to update and say that I think the bar position was, in fact, a smidge high. I guess I must have allowed it to slowly creep up. Once in the correct position, I found my proprioception better in terms of keeping my upper back tight. I think it was tight before, but there was room for improvement. I still had a little bit of pain at liftoff and during re-rack, but it's nowhere near what it was before and I was able to get a good press session done!