starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Check

Default Squat and Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

Squats felt particularily heavy today, more so than any other day. The bar is tilting towards my right side on almost every rep. Does that have to do with my shit shoulder mobility, and how could I fix it?
    102,5kg x 5 - YouTube

On the deadlift I focused on dropping my belly between my thighs (this cue helps me keep the spine in extension more than squeezing my chest) and pulling the slack out of the bar. However, I failed the lockout during the last rep because the bar was completely slipping out of my hands. Which grip should I use between mixed, hook and or straps?
    110kg x 5 fail - YouTube

Thanks for taking your time to review the lifts.

SQ: Your elbows are jacked up pretty high. Have you tried thumb on top of the bar with a slightly wider grip? Also, try and take a breath that bears down on your abs so your back is flat. Lean over more at the start and keep your back in that flat position - don't pull up with your chest on the way up - use your hips. I would dial this all in first before trying to assess the R/L weight shifting.

DL: Get your setup consistency with every rep (knees flush with front of arms) and LOCK that setup into place before you squeeze your back. Nothing else should move when you flatten your back. If your grip is going you can switch to hook, but it will likely have to be trained with lighter weights for a while first (it is painful). Most people will switch to a mixed grip. I would put off using straps for the time being. You should be able to get to much higher weight before needing those.

I tried thumb on top of the bar with a slightly wider grip multiple times, but my wrists hurt really bad afterwards. Thumbs around feels just fine for me.

I added 5lbs on the squat today. Focused on leaning over hard and pointing my tits at the floor. Tried to stay in the hips all the time. Definitely felt much better than the last training session.

105kg x 5 3rd set - YouTube
    This is the 3rd set.

Haven't recorded the deadlift because I did power cleans today. Will do on Monday.

Thumb around is fine if it is more comfortable. Your lean is better today, but depth is a bit shy on a few reps. I would go a touch narrower with your stance. Still a bit of pulling up with the chest on the way up - try and stay in your hips. The weight is getting heavy now, so make sure you are eating enough, resting enough between sets, and have a programming plan to not get run into the ground if the other two are already on point.

105kg x 5 back tweak - YouTube

I tweaked my back immediately after this set.

Tried to focus on the technique and reaching better depth. Also went a touch narrower with my stance. I ate a lot prior to this day, didn't count any calories but I ate a big meal every 1-2 hours. Unfortunately I'm lactose intolerant so I can't drink a gallon of milk everyday. Managed to get a fair amount of sleep, except when I woke up in the middle of the night to take a shit.

There's a sharp pain around my left hip bone radiating towards the low back. Tried to do deadlifts but the pain around the left hip bone was so terrible during the first warm-up sets that I couldn't perform the working set.

How much should I deload now? Sorry for taking your time.

Stance and hip drive is better today. Still pulling up a bit with your chest. I would track your calories and macros over a day to actually see what you are eating. It's important. Many people think they are eating enough and aren't. That is probably an issue and the weight is now very heavy, so you need to address the nutrition and possibly also the programming. A 10% reset is normally fine, but your hip tweak might need you to take a more conservative approach initially. Either way, I would not start building up again with regular numbers until you have assessed your nutrition.

starting strength coach development program
    Hayden,

Just wanted to give an update. I started tracking my calories and it turns out I was indeed not eating as much as I thought, so I bumped my calories up to 4500 and started drinking a gallon of yogurt a day, since my stomach can tolerate yogurt much better than milk. Also made sure I slept at least 8 hours a night most days. All of this resolved my hip tweak rather quickly and I haven't had another one ever since. My lifts also went up.

130kg deadlift - YouTube
    This is my latest deadlift at 130kg. At first I used alternate grip, but it felt like shit. Then I switched to hook grip and found that not only do my thumbs not hurt at all, but I like it much more than the first one.

I was stuck at a 107.5kg squat for almost 2 weeks. It eventually occured to me to add a light squat day on Wednesday, now my squat is at 120kg. Will post a form check on that too.