starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power clean technique work

Default Power clean technique work

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Power cleaned today for the first time since March. Cheers Rona.

I'm 6'4, 255 and 265 for 5 on Wednesday. Did 3 sets of 3 at 155 on Power Clean today. Technique felt nasty and I could feel a little bit of donkey kicking and elbows getting slack.

Is practicing on a rest day just with the barbell or say 90# going to help or should I just practice when I'm doing my actual workouts with the "heavy" weights?

Depends on the actual issues, how often you program yourself to power clean, and what else it may interfere with.
    Go ahead and post a video according to the sticky filming guidelines and let's take a look.

Power cleans from today. Comments appreciated...

I'm no certified coach, but look at 0:11 paused. You've got arm bend for sure. I suspect it's why your catch at the top has your elbows down and back behind the bar. Your elbows are only coming up after the catch. I've noticed practicing my own power cleans that when it gets heavier I have to will myself really hard not to do that. You have to beat that shit out of your brain in the beginning, and when the lift gets harder you have to do it again. Your brain starts to doubt if you can bring it up to the rack position as it gets heavier and starts trying to use your arms to compensate. I recommend doing that "jumping position" exercise as part of your warm-up. Practice just doing the jump with the weight in your hands and keeping straight arms the whole time. Don't even try to bring it up to rack it. I find it helps me feel the power I'm generating in that motion and don't feel the need to arm-bend.

Lots to fix here. Grip needs to be wider, you need to actually set your back and keep the bar on your legs off the floor to start. You're more rowing the bar up to your shoulders.
    Let's back up a step. Can you post a deadlift work set of 5 reps?

Watch your own video in slow motion. You'll see that you are doing an upright row and then jumping in the middle of it, long after the bar has already been accelerated by your arms. The jump doesn't contribute to the pull.

You need to practice jumping from the jumping position without actually racking the bar, i.e. jump with absolutely straight arms. Rotate your elbows out to signal straight arms to yourself. Do that for a while and then practice racking the bar after you've launched it. This is what has helped me.

That and the motivation to stop my elbows from being so damn sore.

Thanks for the replies and advice gents, very much appreciated.

I just did Deadlifts yesterday and have Power Cleans programmed for tomorrow. Deadlifts programmed for Monday so will upload a video on Monday.

I'd just do deadlifts tomorrow so you can film and get some feedback that will help with the power clean. Up to you though.

Hi Pete, took your advice and did the deadlifts this morning. Cranked out a set of 5 on 308. Annoying, the only deadlift platform in the gym has been smashed to fuck by idiots without bumper plates so it's hard to get the bar to stay in one place for setup.

I hit 313 for a triple back in March so feels good to get back close to my PR.

starting strength coach development program
    Setup is a but off. Bar is in front of mid foot and not against your shins. So your shins are angled too forward and hips are too low. Get the bar over mid foot which will have knees flush with the front of your arms. Set your gaze about 6-10' in front of you on the ground before your squeeze your back and keep it there the entire time. Back squeeze needs to be slower and don't think of it as a shoulder blade roll. Think of pulling your chest up to engage your erectors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast