starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Check Form Please (bar kicking forward)

Default Deadlift Check Form Please (bar kicking forward)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Login • Instagram

Hello!

I seem to be having a problem with my deadlift, specifically with the bar moving forward about an inch as soon as I pull from the floor. This is my first time posting a video, so I apologize if the link does not work properly. Please let me know if it does not work.

In any case, this has happened for a number of years, the bar moving about an inch forward right when I break the floor. I feel that I rock back on my heels to get my weight more mid-foot, but do I need to do it more?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

I don’t really see it. Is the bar coming off of your shins?

It's because you're pulling the bar around your knees. You're yanking it off the ground by opening up the back angle rather than extending the knees to peel the bar off the ground. Quads break the bar off the ground. Set the back and push the floor away with your feet.

Also, please don't use Instagram for form checks. We can't speed up, slow down, or pause the video.

Is the bar starting too close to the shins before the pull, i.e., Step 1 of the setup not done correctly?

Gotcha, I’ll use a different format to post future videos. It’s such a small movement, the bar moving an inch, that I am very happy that you were able to see it, Pete.

I will do my best to push the floor first!

Thank you!