starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Knees Question

Default Squat Knees Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone-just starting squatting again after a long lay off with shoulder issues (still not gone away I’ve just adapted my grip on the LBBS).
    I’ve read, re-read the book and watched all the SS videos I can find but I’m still struggling to get the “knees” concept in the squat. I can’t see how the knees can go forward and the hips back at the same time. I spent a while trying it as 2 separate movements as recommended in the book which helped a bit but as soon as some (even light) weight went on the bar this just put a weird kink in the movement and affected the “groove.”
    I find if I focus on just getting the knees “out” and sitting back/lean forward then I can keep the bar path straight but I feel like I’m missing out on the crucial hamstrings stretch and even moderate weights (200lb) feels heavy/sets are a real grind.
    I’ll try to upload some vids at some point but just wondered if anyone could impart some wisdom? I’m based in the UK and the “trainers” at my gym coach all manner of bizarre looking squats so I shan’t be rushing to them for advice....

Sounds like you're over-thinking this a little.
    Here's the problem you have to solve with your body: stay balanced on midfoot through the entire ROM
    Here are your constraints: bar under the spine of the scaps, hip crease below the top of the patella in the bottom.
    There's obviously more to it, but start with that.
    If you're taking the correct stance, the knees shouldn't go straight forward, but should track in line with the feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper2020 View Post
    I find if I focus on just getting the knees “out” and sitting back/lean forward then I can keep the bar path straight but I feel like I’m missing out on the crucial hamstrings stretch and even moderate weights (200lb) feels heavy/sets are a real grind.
    The bar path may not be straight and/or you're not driving the hips up out of the bottom.
    Read the sticky on posting videos and post one up.
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 09-14-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks-I think I am overthinking this somewhat. I’ve noticed that knees out and leaning back initiates the knees forward anyway.
    I had it explained once that the knees are like the front of a catapult and the hamstrings are the elastic.
    Just seems such a complex movement I’m trying to break it down to some key points. There was a great SS video doing the rounds where they explained it all in 5 steps but I can’t seem to find it now...