starting strength gym

Thread: Clean and Jerk Check

Default Clean and Jerk Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just replied to my last thread on the snatch -- but it would be cool if I could get some feedback on the clean and jerk too. I've tried to incorporate Rip's suggestions: knees more back, use the widest grip I can clean with, and to bounce on the jerk, not a dip and drive. It all feels pretty good except for the jerk lockout. I'm trying to focus on getting my head through, and shrugging hard, but the weight still tends to crash on me. Any suggestions for the lockout or anything else?

Nothing to comment on regarding the technique, it's much better than mine. What I'd try to eliminate is all the time you spend standing with the weight on your shoulders.

Try and keep your knees out over your toes as you drive up to initiate the jerk (they are caving in a bit). You may need to practice this with lighter weights. Then as you drive the bar up you are leaning your body back, instead of just getting your head out of the way. Your balance is therefore too far back which causes the bar to tilt back to follow you and then you need to readjust which is hard. Practice just getting your head back to clear the bar and minimizing torso lean back.

The biggest problem I see is that you're soft as you rack the jerk. You have to shrug your traps up into the rack on stiff elbows. I see no shrug into the top. And Hayden is right: learn to rack the clean, finish the front squat, take one breath, and jerk the bar. Refer to Kurlovich.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll work on them.

starting strength coach development program
    minor detail but a doozey if you don't get it figured out and plan to compete.

looks like your elbow (almost) touches your knee at the bottom of the clean.

maybe it was just a one time thing.