starting strength gym

Thread: Squats

Default Squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Pete,

Long time, no see.

I’ve made some progress here and I wanted to see if you would give it a quick look-over!

440x5x3 - YouTube

Best,
    Soule

Looks pretty good overall. Try and take your breaths a bit slower so your chest doesn't bounce the bar up and down. Also, when you breathe make sure you are bearing down on you abs to keep them tight. You are resisting the lean over a bit by arching your back as you descend; try and keep you back flat. And a touch more knees out at the start may help keep them out on the way up.

I agree that the bar bouncing when i breathe is a silly habit - don’t know why I do that. However, leaning over more at this weight seems to put me in a suboptimal position. I believe that heavier weight on the bar shifts the center of mass and will put you in a more upright position If you are to maintain balance. Maybe I’m not there yet, but this set felt better than the previous set where my hips were back a bit further.

Hey Soule
    Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    I agree that the bar bouncing when i breathe is a silly habit - don’t know why I do that.
    It's your inner Chase Lindley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    I believe that heavier weight on the bar shifts the center of mass and will put you in a more upright position If you are to maintain balance.
    Not incorrect. Watch your heels through the set though. It's subtle, but that's why Hayden mentioned the back angle.

Alrighty, I’ll work on it. Thank ya kindly!

Hayden & Pete,

Any better here minus the bar bouncing?

445x5 - YouTube

Looks to me like the knees are collapsing inward. Next time you post a set, shoot something from directly behind. I'd like to check your stance width.
    In the meantime, you'll need to work on pinning the knees out. You could think about trying to touch the spotter arms with your knees.

Alright, will do. I’ve been trying to put a little more weight on the inside ball of my foot after noticing that i put too much on the outside ridge, particularly on my left foot. I’ll see if I can do that and still get the knees out more

starting strength coach development program
    Pete,
    I think I’m finally starting to squat correctly. Not as good as my girlfriend, but getting there!

Knees are out more and hips go back further at the bottom. Some of the reps are too low.

425x5 - YouTube