starting strength gym

Thread: Week 5 of SS - Form Check

Default Week 5 of SS - Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After building myself a garage gym (it never closes!), I am currently 5 weeks into the SS program. I had previous done some weightlifting, but never an LP. Current status is:

Squat: 150 -> 255
    Press: 55 -> 115
    Bench: 85 -> 155
    Deadlift: 170 -> 275

Each video link is from my final set.

Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 170 -> 185

I don’t track my calories, but I do track my protein intake and aim for 1g per lb bodyweight per day.

I would greatly appreciate a form check review of each movement. I struggle the most to set my lower back in the deadlift, but after watching this video it’s already looking a little better using the “shove belly down between thighs” cue. Still needs work.

Damn man, that is one sweet Garage Gym setup!

Squats are pretty borderline on depth so get an extra inch lower to be sure. Knees could be shoved out harder.

Press - pay more attention to the unracking process. Its allowing your wrists to bend back too much as the set goes on. Get your feet directly under the bar, unrack with neutral wrists and vertical forearms. Squeeze the bar tight and keep your armpits squeezed tight. Feel free to wear the belt if you like. Also you only need to step back one step after unracking, no need to walk it back that far.

Bench - you are tucking your elbows in towards your sides a bit too much. Forearms should be perpendicular to the ground when viewed from the front.

Deadlift - You are dropping your hips a little when you get your squeeze causing you to be on your heels a bit. Keep them up. It looks like you are looking straight forward. Pick a spot 10-12 feet in front of you and keep your eyes there. Also a 3in belt may be better for you for Deadlift

Thanks man! And thanks so much for the reply! If you're ever in Austin, TX, you are welcome to use it.

These notes are very helpful - I'll work on these!

Not a coach, so take any advice with a grain of salt. At the top of the deadlift, just stand up. I would think as the weights get heavier, that shrug you do with the shoulders and slight elbow bend could lead to problems. On the way down, the bar is going around your knees, which is also going to hurt as the weight goes up. Shoot your hips back, let the bar down and bend your knees after the bar passes them. Coaches, please let me know if I'm wrong about this.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Not a coach, so take any advice with a grain of salt. At the top of the deadlift, just stand up. I would think as the weights get heavier, that shrug you do with the shoulders and slight elbow bend could lead to problems. On the way down, the bar is going around your knees, which is also going to hurt as the weight goes up. Shoot your hips back, let the bar down and bend your knees after the bar passes them. Coaches, please let me know if I'm wrong about this.
    Good catches. Simplest fixes for both are just to keep arms straight(can think of them as steel cables), and set the bar down faster

Hey man, great work! Those squats look very solid!

For your press..2 things. On the setup, make sure you are being more intentional with your grip and elbows. Get your grip as close as possible (for me it's the very end of the knurl) place your open palm against the bar and then pronate your hands then wrap your fingers around the bar. Then squeeze your elbows in (adduct them) as tight as you can before pressing. The most egregious thing I notice about your press is you are bouncing your hips before you actually brace for the press. Breath--Brace--hips--Press. From these videos it looks like you don't finish your inhale/brace before you start your bounce.

For the Deadlift...two easy fixes... don't bring your shins to the bar with bent knees. Approach the bar, bar placed over mid foot, bend at the waist and grab the bar with locked/straight knees. Then once you have your grip and stance...then bring your shins to the bar, without moving the bar. Also need to work on your lumbar extension before pulling.

Overall though great work, looks like you are really doing some good practice on the lifts.

(Not a SS coach FYI)

starting strength coach development program
    Ok sorry, second critique here. Watched your videos again. It looks like you DO finish your breath before your bounce on the press which is good. I do think you still need to be more intentional on the "brace" before you bounce the hips and commit to the press. This means squeezing the gluts and quads very hard, contracting your abs and pressing your belly against the belt before bouncing the hips forward and also again...squeeze your elbows in tighter, rest them against your rib-cage and keep them there while you keep all that other crap tight (gluts/quads/abs) then drive the hips forward and press!

Good luck man!