starting strength gym

Thread: Matt's squats

Default Matt's squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi. Can i please have my form checked (including the set up, bar position etc). The video shows 2 sets, one from behind as suggested by pete, and the next one from 45 degrees. The weight is 110 kg.
    110kg - YouTube

Concerns:
    1. I was previously squatting with a stance that was too wide (i didnt even realise it until i started filming myself). Since narrowing my stance, i am now experiencing pain in the front of my left knee. My right knee feels ok though. Anything obvious that might be causing it?

2. I have noticed that the bar sometimes tilts down towards my right side and i dont know why. I am left handed/left footed - i dont know if this has anything to do with it.

3. I have a sore which keeps getting irrated and not healing right in the middle of my back where the bar goes. Is this normal and nothing to worry about, or is it a problem that is likely being caused by the bar moving around during sets?

Thanks a lot.

If you have a previous form check, please make sure to link it in the new one so we can reference it.

Your stance looks ok here. You could move it out a hair if you wanted, but not much more than that.
    You're setting up with a really narrow grip before you get under the bar and have to fight to get it in position, then your palms end up under the bar through the set. Just start with a wider grip, get the bar in the right spot, then walk the hands in as close as you can while maintaining a neutral wrist. The soreness is likely because the bar is moving around on you.

Get leaned over sooner and reach back with the hips so you stay on midfoot. And don't be in such a rush to lift your chest out of the bottom.

Ok thanks.

I have deliberately been using as narrow a grip as i possibly can - i was previously using a wider grip but then i started getting terrible pain all around my elbow areas (more on my left arm but also on my right). so i rehabilitated it by using Rip's chinup routine along with narrowing the grip and it seems to have worked so far. but i will do what u said with the setup.

I didnt know if i should include prior videos because i dont think the camera angles etc were good, but here are 2 comparisons of how i was squatting a couple of weeks ago...first with the wide stance, and then with a slightly less wide stance a couple of days after getting negative feedback.

116kg - YouTube

September 18, 2020 - YouTube

We would like you to use as narrow a grip as possible while keeping the wrists relatively neutral. But you can get the narrower AFTER getting it in the right spot on your back and making sure the heel of your hand isn't under the bar shoving it up your back when you try and lean over.

Just a link to the previous form check thread would suffice, if there was one.