starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift trying set up variations.

Default Deadlift trying set up variations.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m starting to experiment with deadlift set up in order to perfect my form. I can lift a single @ 172.5 kg and todays lift was a relatively easy 150Kg for 3+

I tried to get everything perfect and break slowly and controlled from the floor for first rep. Initially it felt fine, but it put a really nasty stretch in my hamstrings and it felt really awkward and slightly painful. It seemed that maybe my hips were too low, so on the second rep I shuffled my feet back a half centimetre and that seemed nicely controlled and the bar came up without any of that hard hamstring stretch. Third then ended straying out in front of my legs, but that was probably because I hadn’t squeezed the back flat. I went for a fourth which was OK and then a bit of a rotten fifth, with some form breakdown.

Anyone shed any light on that initial rep and the nasty hamstring stretch ? I’m wondering if I should feel that and maybe I’ve been using a technique which has been avoiding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Any video?
    I’ve quite a few, but not of that particular session. Do you want a limit style lift, or a succession of 5x5 volume lifts where I use straps ? I only record the heavy lifts where I can see the form break down clearly-hips coming up too early, back rounding. I wish I’d recorded this session because it was just heavy enough to expose form issues, but not sufficient that I expect form breakdown. I will be doing a volume lift next week if that’s any good ?

80-85% of your 5RM. Something that's challenging enough for us to see what you're talking about, but not a limit set where you end up talking to Jesus half way through.

80-85% of your 5RM. Something that's challenging enough for us to see what you're talking about, but not a limit set where you end up talking to Jesus half way through.
    About 140Kg then. I have 5x5 volume lifts on Saturday @ 124Kg so I will do a first set @ 140Kg x 3 and record it.

Re-read that. 5RM is 150Kg so my volume set is perfect at 124Kg

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    About 140Kg then. I have 5x5 volume lifts on Saturday @ 124Kg so I will do a first set @ 140Kg x 3 and record it.
    Oof. Have fun with that. Does your coach not like you?
    Give us the first or second set.

starting strength coach development program
    Oof. Have fun with that. Does your coach not like you?
    Give us the first or second set.
    I’m beginning to wonder :-)