starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Previous thread: Squat Form Check

20 09 23 Squat 3 135 - YouTube

Am I leaning over enough? In the sets warming up I'm able to lean over even more, but not at the heavier weights. I'm not sure if this is due to the bar being too far forward over the middle of the foot or because of bad habits.

During the second work set I noticed that in trying to lean over further at the bottom I was allowing my chest to drop rather than keeping the upper back in extension. Is there such a thing as too much lean?

Also somewhat worried about achieving depth without flexing the lower back.

You aren't leaning over (breaking at your hips) at all as you start the movement. You need to lean over pointing nipples to the floor immediately. Your butt will then go back to counter. If you don't lean over the bar does not get over mid foot and it will not be balanced. You need to have the lean during the first part of the descent. You don't want to create it near the bottom. It is possible to have too much lean, but you are not in that camp. Lean over more.

You are losing tightness in the bottom and your back is rounding over. At the start of each rep, take a breath such that you bear down on your abs and keep your ribs down. Then hold that until the rep is done. Don't let any of the tightness go until you stand up the rep.

Should the lean increase significantly as I descend or is it like the knees in that they move to a position quickly and only a little after that? Asking because mostly I've been focused on checking the lean/angle at the bottom, seems like I should be paying more attention to the start of the descent instead...

Yes, they both should move into position more quickly and both be there by the time you are about halfway down.