starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift check

Default Deadlift check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    315x5 - YouTube

been working on not dropping my hips and making sure my weight is on my midfoot before the pull. back rounded out and i think the hips can still stay higher but hopefully it’s looking better.

Hey shump
    Two reasons your back is rounding. 1) you're blending Step 4™ and Step 5™ and not really getting your back set before you pull. 2) you're pulling around your knees. Your first move is to open the chest, so the bar goes out and around the knees, causing the back to have to do more work than it should. Set the back until you get all of the slack out of the bar, then set it some more. Then, push the floor away with your feet so your quads do their job of breaking the bar off the ground and the bar comes straight up.
    Make sure you can set your back without the belt so you know what that feels like.

Thank you so much! For some reason I find myself dropping my hips when I really try to fully extend my back but will work on this. I also have fused vertebrae in all of my spine except for the lumbar (severe scoliosis caused me to have to get 2 metal rods bolted up most of my spine), and so I’ve always had a bit of trouble separating steps 4-5 due to the fusion and the lack of flexibility.