starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long arms and the jumping position in the power clean

Default Long arms and the jumping position in the power clean

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is it possible for one's arms to be so long that the natural point for the jumping position is actually right on the knees, rather than the thighs? Even with a wide grip, when I do heavy cleans it feels like I get the most powerful jump force if I go right when the bar gets to the knees. if I wait for it to hit somewhere on the thighs, I miss.

Not that I've encountered. Can you properly rack the bar?
    You may just be getting behind the bar by the time it gets to the jump position. Post a video from the appropriate angle.

That could be it. I'll try and pay attention to that, and also try and get a video on my next power clean session (wednesday).

I tried to self-shoot a power clean set tonight. I apologize for not being able to catch the rack position, but it racked, elbows were up and forward. I had to pick between seeing my feet and seeing the top of me. So I picked the feet. Can you make anything of this?

This setup is umm...rather less than ideal. Let's get you jumping when the bar touches mid thigh and then we'll see about those long arms. In short, slow the movement way down for now. Slowly drag the bar up your legs, with long straight arms, keeping it in contact with your body the whole time. When it touches the mid thigh, JUMP and finish the clean. If you can re-read the Power Clean section of the Blue Book that would help

I started off doing it that way, but as the weight went up it turned into this. It feels like if I wait to jump until after the bar hits somewhere on the thigh I lose momentum. When you say the setup isn't good, are you talking about the camera setup or setting up before the lift? I'll drop it down to 75 next time, I know I can even hang power clean that without any momentum from the floor. It just feels like when the bar hits the thigh my back ends up being too vertical to get the best momentum.

Right now, the bar is at least 6 inches, and maybe 8, from your thighs. Not even close. Look at the video. Your start position is very fucked up.

What's wrong with it? Bar starting too far forward of mid foot?

I know you have the blue book and functioning eyes.

starting strength coach development program
    Two things I see:
    1) your “jumping position” is a little low. Looks like you are jumping when the bar is just below the knee rather than just above it.
    2) you’ve got an arm pull / you’re doing an upright row and jumping in the middle of it.

Practice jumping with straight arms with the empty bar for a few reps. Then practice throwing the elbows forward at the top of the jump. It’s a jump and a catch, the arms don’t pull. When you watch a video in slow motion, you should see yourself at the very top of the pull with absolutely straight arms.

Rip has a 6 part video series on the power clean on YouTube. It’s very helpful. Maybe give it a watch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast