starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check, please! Falling forward and backward, bar keeps turning/swinging

Exclamation Squat form check, please! Falling forward and backward, bar keeps turning/swinging

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

I would like a form check please. Total weight on bar: 185 lbs. I did 3s x 5r.

Problems I have noticed:

(1) I feel that when I am at the bottom, sometimes I tend to fall forward (I think this is because I am not keeping my head/gaze consistent. In some of the reps this happened, I noticed I turned my head down and may be this turned my chest down and shifted my weight forward).
    (2) When I reach the top at the end of the ascent, sometimes I tend to fall backward.
    (3) The bar keeps turning/swinging on my back. You will notice how at times my face is covered by the plate, and at other times it is not because the other end of the bar has come forward and the close end of the bar has pivoted backward. It is hard to explain this.

Here is the worst set of the day. (Set 2 - 5r). Set 3 was slightly better because I tried fixing some of the problems after watching it in my rest time.

Here is the best set of the day. (Set 1 - 5r)

Details: I just finished month 2 of lifting. I am following the LP in SS (increasing the weight by 5 lbs or 10 lbs), but I am not able to follow the program fully due to COVID19 arrangements. Gym sessions have to be booked 3 days in advance and are restricted to 60 mins. And one person is not allowed in the same designated workout zone for more than 30 min. My Squats and DLs take 30 mins each, and the Bench Press and OH Press take around 20 mins. So I can only do two of the compounds in the same session (I mix it up with Squat + Bench and DL + OH). For rest 8-10 mins I do something else. Sometimes I book a session, come to the gym and see that no racks/platforms are available. So I do Bench and OH Press and other exercises. Hence, my progress is slow.

(Coach, I apologize for the angle. I have seen the sticky. But I did not have an option to shoot from that angle. This is the only way angle I could manage for the squat. There is no platform to keep the phone except the safety bar on the closed rack).

Have you read the book?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Maybe, but just maybe, you should invest some of your money into a good lifting shoes and then start fixing your squat form ?

Looks like a high bar squat to me ?

Hi Nockian, yes, I prefer the high bar squat. I am trying to keep the upper body posture similar to what it would look like when jumping in basketball. Any ideas on how I can fix the problems?

Hi Andrew, no, I haven't. Any feedback on the technique deficiencies?

Unfortunately, I don't have the money to buy lifting shoes atm. I can barely afford my gym membership now. But in a few months. Any feedback on what I am doing wrong technique-wise?

You'd be better served locking your eyes on the ground in front of you. Can't really tell much else. It would helpful if you were to post videos filmed from the correct angle outlined in the sticky. Please go review that.

If you can't get lifting shoes now, you can wear boots with a hard sole or dress shoes with a non-compressible sole. Either would be better than squishy running shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Gym-Is-A-Scary-Place View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't have the money to buy lifting shoes atm. I can barely afford my gym membership now. But in a few months. Any feedback on what I am doing wrong technique-wise?
    I understand that. Any feedback on technique at this point is kind of useless because a proper lifting shoes have huge impact on your form.

Your sensation of shifting weight back and forward is probobly caused by your runnig shoes.

Bar dancing on your back can be avoided by making your arms and shoulder thighter. Narrow the grip, lift your elbows up a little and lift your chest up. You should be feeling thight to a point of discomfort but not pain.

Buy the shoes and make a new video from better angle.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Gym-Is-A-Scary-Place View Post
    Hi Nockian, yes, I prefer the high bar squat. I am trying to keep the upper body posture similar to what it would look like when jumping in basketball. Any ideas on how I can fix the problems?
    I find low bar makes it easier to lock the bar into position and prevent the bar rolling forward. Looking at your heels, they are lifting towards the bottom of the squat, which suggests the bar is rolling towards your neck, but the video makes it difficult to see. Personally I’d ditch the hoody and wear a cotton tee shirt/vest which would help to ensure you’re tight. There is a tendency to use clothing as padding for the barbell rather than get tight.

This is the kind of post that makes the case for a pay site. Guy posts a video for help, we help, he says he likes his way better. Just let it go.

starting strength coach development program
    Your bar would probably be more secure if you used a low-bar position. Forget the similarity of the movement to something from basketball. Read up on the two-factor model. Simulating sports movements for your strength training is not the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast