starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check please!

Default Deadlift form check please!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I was having some issues with step 4 of the setup (previous post here), so I dropped the weight down a bit, and am focusing on pulling on my lower back more. Is this form better now (link here)? I still somehow have a bit of a pain (not much) in my right abductor while pulling. It feels like the back is still rounding up just at the start of the pull. Is this a form issue or will that go away as I get stronger?

Thanks!

Try widening your grip a touch so that you can push your knees out to the side a bit. See if that helps with the abductor.

You aren't squeezing as a separate step from the setup. You're doing it somewhere in there as you drop your hips into position. Get your setup with hips in the right position, then pause, then squeeze your chest up to flatten your back.

I see. It is just that I am somehow unable to tighten my back more after dropping the hips. I think it is just something that I have learnt this way, will try to do it as separate steps next time

You will be able to tighten just fine after setup. In fact it will be better that way as you will be able to feel the back position better. It will just take some practice.