starting strength gym

Thread: Left side lumbar and right hip pain during squatting.

Default Left side lumbar and right hip pain during squatting.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been lifting off-and-on for a few years, and I think figuring out my squatting issues is the last real barrier to me getting stronger. I'd be very grateful if I could get another set of eyes while I figure it out.

Tl;dr I have a bunch of asymmetric pain and discomfort in my midsection and hips during squatting. My deadlift and olympic lifting usually aren’t affected, and my upper body lifts are never affected. There's a video from a bad angle at the end, I'll get better footage next week.

A couple of weeks ago my friend pointed out that I'd been setting the bar on my back 2.5" to the right -- a normal, centered bar position feels tighter on my left shoulder. I have no idea how long I've been squatting like that, but I’ve been lifting for a few months on this round of LP. I’ve since changed my setup technique to repeatedly check that the bar is centered and even, and bought a camera tripod to film my sets. The worst hot spots are in the left side of my midback, somewhat under the scapula and my right hip and glute. My hips don't feel even with each other, even when they are, and the right side of my abs feel like they are working much harder (although this is after discovering I've been squatting out of balance for a while).

My legs feel strong, but my midsection and hips just feel bloated, out of balance, and too weird to push on. The pain is now maybe 2-3, but it interferes with my perception enough that I struggle to get tight enough to squat properly.

My two theories are that I am either
    Still squatting wrong and therefore causing myself issues
    Still recovering from squatting wrong for months and need to approach my rehab/progression differently

Today's intended (and actual) workout:
    Power jerks 215x5x1 (weightxsetsxreps, no issues)
    SQ 270x3x5 (~225x2x3, with a bunch of singles and fails around 135-265)
    DL 345x1x5 (345x1x2, 1st workout where squatting bled into the deadlift)
    B 247.5x3x5 (no issues)
    Lat pulldowns 200x3x8 (no issues)
    6'8" tall, 280 lbs.

I took a bunch of video, but now that I'm at home the angles look really bad (I was just learning today and hadn't read the forum rules). I apologize, but I want to get started on this problem while it's still fresh in my mind. I'll get one from higher up and include my whole body next week. Would a rear 45 degree angle, or an angle completely from behind work better, or both, work for this kind of problem? This is the last set; I'd given up on squatting pain-free for today and just wanted to get some amount of work done.
    October 3, 2020 - YouTube

Thanks for any advice.

Really need a vid of whole body - head to feet

Loud and clear.

270x3x5, last set, 280 lbs bodyweight, 6'8". My filming buddy is about 5'9. My left shoulder still feels somewhat tight, but this is the first time squatting pain free in a while. It may just be the recent injury and the awareness that I was being filmed, but my buddy said that I looked "way more bent over than usual" and the first set was all an inch high (I used to squat far too low and bottom out a lot). Reps 1 and 2 of this filmed set I think are still too high; I'll slow down the descent next workout and be more consistent.

Is this bent over enough? Is my stance where it should be? Am I or is the bar noticeably crooked? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

October 6, 2020 - YouTube

Depth is really squishy, 2 of them are high.