starting strength gym

Thread: Form check for Press at 35kg

Default Form check for Press at 35kg

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi some feedback on my press technique would be appreciated. Please note I accidentally did an additional rep, guess I was in the zone...
    6 October 2020 - YouTube

Try to consciously keep your elbows in. They are flaring out as you Press. You can think about squeezing your armpits tight.

This is a strict press, not a Press 2.0 as described in The Blue Book. You're moving your hips forward, pausing, and then pressing.

What you want is for the hip extension and subsequent rebound off the tight quads and abs to help "bounce" the bar off of your delts at the bottom.

Practice the rebound without the bar for a bit. You want to stand with your hands on your hips, squeezing your quads and abs (wear your belt), and then shove your hips forward and allow them to bounce backwards.

Then practice the same movement with the bar in your hands, and try to get the bar to bounce upward without pressing.

Hey man, good work. (Not a SS coach) I like your sequencing of bracing, hips and pressing. I think the weight is probably too light for you to utilize/benefit from the bounce you are producing with your hips. You are driving your hips forward but it's not translating into any bounce in the bar which would then assist your press. This is also probably due to your whole body not being tight enough to actually create the reverb that you are looking to produce when you drive your hips forward. Like what was said above, squeeze your elbows in tighter, but also squeeze the shit out of your quads and gluts too...LP your weight up or just add some more weight until you get some form breakdown, stick with the same form you are using plus stay tighter in your brace and your press will improve with practice.

Thanks guys, my press is the one I’m really struggling with. Can’t seem to get the lift past 42kg and have reset to go up in 0.5 kg jumps. Maybe the elbow flare is contributing to that?