starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 485x5x1 Deadlift - Thoracic Extension Question

Default 485x5x1 Deadlift - Thoracic Extension Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    485x5x1 Pull - YouTube

Some background on this is that I am 17, 5'11", and 207 lbs. Yes, I am gaining weight and I plan on going up to at least 220 lbs. I have been running a Texas Method version for powerlifting for the past 14 weeks. On my deadlift I have added 5 lbs per week, every week. This is the first week I have seen my thoracic spine rounded questionably on my 5th rep. I know for certain that the first 4 reps of this set are good and that I am setting my back correctly. However, I know that some spinal flexion is acceptable in the deadlift and this is especially applicable to the final rep in a set of 5. I would like some feedback on whether the extent to which my back is rounded is acceptable. Was I just lazy in my set-up on my final rep? I appreciate your time.

Thanks,

Jack Morrison

It would help if you "squeezed" the whole back into extension instead of this snappy-rock-back-to-your-heels thing you're doing.

Will do; I will post again if I have any other issues. Thanks.

420x5 - Rocking Less - YouTube

I pulled this set of 420x5 and I am rocking back a hell of a lot less. However, I shift off of my toes and it appears that I rock back slightly before some of these reps. Is this downward hip motion normal and considered part of shifting off of the toes to the center of the foot or should I cut out what I am referring to completely?

Once you get set up you need to fix your hips in place. They cannot move at all. You then squeeze your back flat. Then you pull. Just keep your hips frozen.

At a little bit lighter weight than this, I rocked back and didn't shift forward before the bar came off the floor. Does this mean that I should start out my hips slightly lower right away so that I don't need to lower them by rocking? What sort of a weight for a heavy set of 5 would you recommend I start again at?

Since you are starting with your hips way up in the air and then shooting them down into the setup and not pausing before the back squeeze, I don't know that you are starting in the right spot. Setup needs to have the bar over midfoot with the bar against your shins. This will generally have the knees touching the inside of the elbows and flush with the front of your arms. Once you get that position, your hips will be where they need to be. Then you set your gaze, then you breath and squeeze your back flat without moving anything else.

You'll notice that before the bar leaves the floor your hips move back up where they need to be, so you need to put them there and keept them there cause that is the position you'll be lifting the bar anyway.
    Mabye widen your stance just a tiny bit? it looks like you have a pretty narrow stance and very long legs. Or try pointing your toes even more outward that way you'll be less likely to have your knees travelling forward

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    You'll notice that before the bar leaves the floor your hips move back up where they need to be, so you need to put them there and keept them there cause that is the position you'll be lifting the bar anyway.
    Mabye widen your stance just a tiny bit? it looks like you have a pretty narrow stance and very long legs. Or try pointing your toes even more outward that way you'll be less likely to have your knees travelling forward
    Having a narrow stance isn't necessarily a problem. Cleaning up the steps and keeping the hips locked during the squeeze and pull may be enough.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Having a narrow stance isn't necessarily a problem. Cleaning up the steps and keeping the hips locked during the squeeze and pull may be enough.
    I’m guessing it’s the first thing Hayden called out - bar probably is a little forward of mid-foot. I think form can be maintained while rocking slightly to center the weight exactly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast