starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check (117.5kg / 260lbs)

Default Squat form check (117.5kg / 260lbs)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    YouTube Link

STATS: M18, 68kg, 174cm 5'7"

Failed the squat for the first time since starting the NLP, reps were 5/5/4. Huge bummer, but I'll try again next time.

Mainly I just want to make sure that my form isn't deteriorating as the weight gets heavier.

Only thing that I can see is that I went a little too low on a couple of reps, but any and all input is appreciated

Those look pretty good.

I would suggest working on controlling your descent a little more and staying tighter on the way down as well as in the hole. On your last couple of reps you can see that you are losing some tightness and even tilting the bar to the left on the way up.

Keep your head down, your head raises up on the ascent, keep your elbows squeezed in and your head down the whole time.

You could probably stand to cut the depth off by an inch or two, a little hard to tell from this angle.

Don't get too hung up on missed reps. If you keep missing reps back off 10-15 lbs and LP your way back up to your previous weight while addressing whatever form issues you need to.

(I'm not a SS coach so I will defer to them if anything I said is wrong).

Keep up the good work.

Get some lifting shoes.

Adam is correct about overshooting depth, staying tight, and keeping your head down so that you stay driving your hips.

I'd bring the stance in just a hair and get the knees pinned out so they stay in line with the feet.

If you can get some squat shoes, that would help. And gain 10-20kg of bodyweight

What language is your cameraman speaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Adam is correct about overshooting depth, staying tight, and keeping your head down so that you stay driving your hips.

I'd bring the stance in just a hair and get the knees pinned out so they stay in line with the feet.

If you can get some squat shoes, that would help. And gain 10-20kg of bodyweight

What language is your cameraman speaking?
    Thanks for the reply!! For some reason I always go below parallel, I guess it's a subconscious thing, I think I haven't gone deep enough, when I in fact have, so I overshoot it. I've got to remind myself constantly.

One thing I find really tough is pushing the knees out - as soon as I begin ascending they cave inward slightly before getting in-line with the feet again before the lock-out. I don't know if it's a huge problem but I find it pretty hard to control.

Other than that I'm working on getting the bodyweight up, and I'm hoping to get weightlifting shoes soon.

Oh and the cameranman is speaking Serbian

Quote Originally Posted by bool3max View Post
    One thing I find really tough is pushing the knees out - as soon as I begin ascending they cave inward slightly before getting in-line with the feet again before the lock-out. I don't know if it's a huge problem but I find it pretty hard to control.
    This is something you'll need to work on for the long-term, or it's going to mess up your back angle and balance. Imagine that you're trying to touch the walls on either side of you with your knees as you come out of the bottom.

This is something you'll need to work on for the long-term, or it's going to mess up your back angle and balance. Imagine that you're trying to touch the walls on either side of you with your knees as you come out of the bottom.
    Would you say that today's session (same weight) was better than the last one (in terms of the knees and the depth)?

Depth was better after the first rep. Careful not to crank your elbows up like that when you squat. Get the chest up to set the upper back.
    Still need to work on the knees. Are you flat footed/lacking an arch on the foot?

Depth was better after the first rep. Careful not to crank your elbows up like that when you squat. Get the chest up to set the upper back.
    Still need to work on the knees. Are you flat footed/lacking an arch on the foot?
    I don't have flat feet, though I don't have particularly strong of an arch either. Why do you ask that? (been strongly considering getting weightlifting shoes as well)

I ask because it can make keeping the knees out over the feet more difficult. So you just need to shove your knees out harder.

Weightlifting shoes should be your very next purchase. As soon as you can.

starting strength coach development program
    I ask because it can make keeping the knees out over the feet more difficult. So you just need to shove your knees out harder.

Weightlifting shoes should be your very next purchase. As soon as you can.
    Hmm, today's session was particularly bad when it comes to the knees. It really only starts to become a problem after 105kg, until then I can keep the knees fairly inline with the feet.

Guess I'll deload 10-15kg and really focus on the knees until I get weightlifting shoes.

Thanks for the help!