starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    Film yourself and then watch Chase on Instagram. It sucks to find out you aren't at depth but better to fix it now because it's a shitty reset. I know from personal experience.
    I'll definitely keep filming myself and looking for other resources to help with technique. Do you have the account for Chase? I tried searching "Chase" but didn't find anything that looks relevant.

The problem I'm having is that I don't particularly care about slightly above parallel vs parallel vs below parallel squats. I don't find the arguments made in the blue book justify the dogmatic approach taken in the SS forums/community. Sure, you'll get a larger range of motion and a slightly better training effect, but I have no plans on being a competitive weightlifter/professional athlete so it doesn't really matter for me. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to low-bar squat below parallel. I'm just struggling with the "how to do it safely" part.

That being said, these are the SS forums and they did make it 100% clear in the sticky what was acceptable for receiving feedback so it is entirely my fault for posting here! This is definitely not the place for someone like me (that struggles to get to depth) to find help with form/getting to depth.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNichols View Post
    The problem I'm having is that I don't particularly care about slightly above parallel vs parallel vs below parallel squats. I don't find the arguments made in the blue book justify the dogmatic approach taken in the SS forums/community. Sure, you'll get a larger range of motion and a slightly better training effect, but I have no plans on being a competitive weightlifter/professional athlete so it doesn't really matter for me. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to low-bar squat below parallel. I'm just struggling with the "how to do it safely" part.
    The arguments in the blue book are perfectly justifiable and have nothing to do with competition. If you wish to squat low bar below parallel then learn how to do it and don't make up excuses, it's only unsafe if you don't follow the instructions and use heavy weights you are not strong enough to lift. I'm sure you can try harder and make the adjustements

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    The arguments in the blue book are perfectly justifiable and have nothing to do with competition.
    I agree that the book does make some good arguments! It does sound like squatting below parallel will yield the best results. However, as I said in my original post, I do not think that the arguments in the blue book justify the dogmatic approach taken in these forums. As far as I can tell, there are two scenarios where squatting below parallel is 100% mandatory: competition and the SS technique forums. Competition I get because you need some sort of objective standard to ensure fair comparison in a competitive setting. Here... I guess it's because Rip said so? It's not terribly clear why, but it is clear that they are mandatory. It's not like you get so little benefit from squatting at parallel that it isn't worth doing. And I don't see how any form problems that are visible when squatting at parallel aren't worth fixing. However, as I said in an earlier post, I acknowledge it was my mistake for posting here asking for feedback on my technique.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    If you wish to squat low bar below parallel then learn how to do it and don't make up excuses, it's only unsafe if you don't follow the instructions and use heavy weights you are not strong enough to lift. I'm sure you can try harder and make the adjustements
    I am working on that! I've found some great resources (elsewhere) that may be able to help me in my journey to a below-parallel squat. If I ever do make it below parallel, I may even come back here and ask for feedback as it does seem like there are knowledgable coaches here with useful feedback that I could really use. We will see what happens once I finish physio for my lower back injury (probably caused by my efforts to squat below parallel as I can only do it by rounding my lower back, regardless of weight). I did just get some squat shoes though, so maybe that will do the trick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12