Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear Coaches,

This is a follow up.
    My last deadlift at 235lbs is following:
    Deadlift- 235 lbs (107 kg) - YouTube

I was asked to make following corrections:
    1. Initiate the movement by flexing knees, and not try to lift it up.
    2. More tighter lower back.

Since this was a major reset for me, I had to deload significantly to get the technique correct.
    Please review my current deadlift at 145 lbs, want to make sure form is correct before I put on more plates.
    Deadlift form check - YouTube

Thanks.

1. Your setup has the bar behind midfoot and hips too high. Get knees flush with the front of your arms (more bent knees).
    2. Narrow your feet a touch.
    3. You're taking the extend the knees cue too far here. Think of pushing the floor away from you to start the lift. The knees will extend, but the bar will also go up. Here it is not moving initially and then moves away from you before going up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    1. Your setup has the bar behind midfoot and hips too high. Get knees flush with the front of your arms (more bent knees).
    2. Narrow your feet a touch.
    3. You're taking the extend the knees cue too far here. Think of pushing the floor away from you to start the lift. The knees will extend, but the bar will also go up. Here it is not moving initially and then moves away from you before going up.
    Please review my new session, tried to incorporate the suggestions- deadlift at 155 lbs :
    Deadlift-155 lbs - YouTube

Thanks

Setup is better, but knees need to be a touch more forward - drop your hips a bit. They aren't flush with the front of your arms here. Also looks like your gaze isn't staying fixed on a spot on the floor. Side note, those holders for he plates are awkward. Can you ditch them?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Setup is better, but knees need to be a touch more forward - drop your hips a bit. They aren't flush with the front of your arms here. Also looks like your gaze isn't staying fixed on a spot on the floor. Side note, those holders for he plates are awkward. Can you ditch them?
    1. To drop the hips, and more knees forward- to do that should I start my setup by slightly increasing the distance between my shin and bar? I thought it was 1 inch, shall I try increasing it a bit more and see if it helps?

2. Well as for holder- my plates are non-standard in size, they are 1 inch less in diameter than the standard 45lb plates, so I put a wooden block of 0.5 inch.

Thanks for all the inputs.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes more space between shins and the bar. 1" is just a rule of thumb. Bar is generally going to need to be over the knot of your shoelace (for normal sneakers) to sit over midfoot.

I would try and just get flat pieces of wood so that it can roll freely forward and backwards and you aren't at risk of placing it down on one of the raised corners.